after clear coat

jim0207

INVNO1
I finished repainting a damaged fender. Just finished the urethane clear coat. How long a waiting time before polishing begins?

I finished repainting a damaged fender. Just finished the urethane clear coat. How long a waiting time before polishing begins?
hello jim0207 after i clear a car i wait about 24/48 hours till i polish it depends on your temp and humidity if your using a temp controlled booth hope this helps you marty

30 days
4 stage wet sand then buff
Look like glass
The longer u wait the better u are less likely u are to burn the paint

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

hello jim0207 after i clear a car i wait about 24/48 hours till i polish it depends on your temp and humidity if your using a temp controlled booth hope this helps you marty
Thanks. I was thinking along those same lines. Although my garage is not temp controlled. I will wait 48-72 hours. Now, if the clear cures and I catch it just at the wright time I should have a much easier job? Wait to long and the clear will harden even more and be harder to work with! Our spring car show is next Saturday.

Sometimes it's easier to buff when it's hard. Depends on the material used. Also, may want to consider wet sanding the clear to de-nib the surface and cutting it open allows the solvents to air out.
AG

Roll it out in the sun (if you have any), the UV will cure it from the inside out. Less chance of solvent pop that way...

depending on the texture of your paint (orange peel ) you could scuff lightly with 2000 knock the dust or any small imperfection, polish and enjoy the car show depending on what paint is on the rest of car to much work and it might shine to much and stick out like a sore thumb I wait 48 on panel repair and 1 week on overall paint if the sanding paper is clogging bad it probably not dry enough

Thanks everyone, it is always a pleasure to speak with all of you. I will show you my start to finish pictures by Friday.