After 4 long years... Project TNX has been restarted.

Project TNX

Ugh, I have tried so hard over the years to complete my dream car. I tried to paint it myself 4 years ago and ruined it, and when I did it took the wind from my sails and I just let the car sit in my garage, untouched, covered in dust. I was so depressed about it, and life in general, that I didn't even visit this site.

My personal life went to complete sh*t in the meantime as well, my stepdad, who was like my father, lost his mind, a violent paranoia dementia, which in turn caused my turn commit suicide. I was going for guardianship of him and he died during the process in a horrid fashion 2 weeks after I discovered my wife was having an affair. This all happened within a 1 year time span with so much drama in between that I don't even want to delve into it, but needless to say those 12 or so months led to many more months of depression. But hey, life happens and you get through it and onto better things, which is where I am today.

I finally decided enough was enough and loaded the car up on a trailer and dropped it off to a real body shop. He just finished painting the main shell for me. It looks great. I went with Dark Garnet Red Code 76 (not to be confused with Dark Red Poly Code 79, that we all call Dark Garnet Red, lol). I'd be trailering it to my house right now if it wasn't for this damned snow storm coming at us. He's putting the GNX flares on for me but I am having him leave the front end parts off for me since I still have to finish plumbing it, installing the lines for the hydroboost, and installing the Razor's alcohol kit.

I'm sure I will be posting a ton more, most likely asking "where's this go?" since it has been so long since I worked on the darned thing, lol. It's a good thing I bagged up the parts with labels, but I know I am still going to be a bit lost. My goal is to get this car on the road by the end of March.

tnxpainted2_zps2e3b7c26.jpg

tnxpainted_zpscdb47ba8.jpg

My kid was SO small when I originally had it "ready" for paint.
flarefitting.jpg

coated3.jpg

interiordrivers.jpg

It's nice to be excited again!!

Brent

Hang in there!! Things will get better. Once you can drive the car, it'll be like you'd never suffered the setbacks...;):D

i remember that engine bay.. welcome back. life goes on and life gets better. plus car depression is easier to deal w :D

Good to be back!

During this crappy period, one super kick ass thing did happen. I got my father's Harley back from the guy he sold it to in 1983. My dad bought it new in 79, sold it in 83 to a coworker, the coworker retired, and even though my dad and I tried several times to buy it back, the guy would never sell it. One day after the big blizzard we had in 2010 the guy called and wanted to sell it. The blizzard knocked 3 of his 4 outbuildings down and he needed money. Amazingly enough where he had the Harley stored was the only piece of one that didn't collapse. My dad and I went up there, the guy hadn't rode it since 1987, and only put a total of ~1,000 miles on it. When he stored it he stored it correctly by fogging the engine and bringing the tank and seat inside. We expected to have to restore it from the ground up, but it was in such good condition after cleaning it up I will leave it in Survivor condition for the rest of my life.
I had to seriously guilt the hell out of my dad, but I got him to sell it to me, lol. It's all stock except for the exhaust, and it's really rare to see an all stock AMF Shovelhead. But riding it in the summer all the time surely delayed my car project. :)

First thing we saw:
fatbob35.jpg

First time laying eyes on her since 83:
fatbob36.jpg

fatbobblessed.jpg

How she sits today:
harley2.jpg

That color code 79 looks real nice! Welcome back and remember you aren't punching a clock a lot of the enjoyment come with the building.

Car looks sweet! I remember you from back in the day! Welcome back! I just got back too! I remember that pic of the car primered and those wheels.