After 35 Years, I finally have the car of my dreams

Grassguy

Hello All! My name is Chris, but go by Grassguy as I have a passion for lawncare. I first fell in love with the GN as a 14yo from the April, '86 issue of C&D. I've sort of stayed in connection with the GN throughout the years of military, marriage, and raising a family and have watched how the supply has fallen off and the values continue to climb. I finally reached a point where my children are now both in college and 401K is in check and began searching to see if there were any nice ones available in my range. Low and behold, I found one and immediately jumped on an '87 with 27k miles bone stock. I am so happy to finally have my car and will not depart from it hopefully. I just finished up a vacuum conversion as the PM failed on my inaugural drive home, lol.
Anyway, glad to finally be a part of such a unique and small community, and am sure I have a lot to learn!

1986 Buick GX1

GX1 #001 [The One and Only]
Welcome to the forum. I’m glad your dream came true.
The sad part is your nightmares have just begun. Lol

Welcome to the forum GrassGuy.. When your obsession started with these cars 35 years ago, my reality started this month 34 years ago of ownership.

^^ Thats cool.
My nightmares started 35 yrs., 2mos. and 9 days ago. Lol
I was lucky enough to order mine at an independent dealership the last week you could get an ‘86.

No, really it’s been very good to me. I was only stranded once because I wasn’t use to the digital dash fuel gauge and got caught in the middle of nowhere North Dakota with no gas stations in sight. Luckily road side assistance brought gas and I was on my way.

Buckshot G/N

Welcome to the forum. I’m glad your dream came true.
The sad part is your nightmares have just begun. Lol

^^ Thats cool.
My nightmares started 35 yrs., 2mos. and 9 days ago. Lol
I was lucky enough to order mine at an independent dealership the last week you could get an ‘86.

No, really it’s been very good to me. I was only stranded once because I wasn’t use to the digital dash fuel gauge and got caught in the middle of nowhere North Dakota with no gas stations in sight. Luckily road side assistance brought gas and I was on my way.
That is definitely cool, between the almost 70 years of ownership we accumulated there would be some great storyline to tell lol... I've been fortunate to have never been stranded ( knock on wood) I've gotten old myself, can't run has fast has I use to, Gray hair all over, and 35 lbs heavier from 1987, but it's been a great ride

T-type Jones

Hello All! My name is Chris, but go by Grassguy as I have a passion for lawncare. I first fell in love with the GN as a 14yo from the April, '86 issue of C&D. I've sort of stayed in connection with the GN throughout the years of military, marriage, and raising a family and have watched how the supply has fallen off and the values continue to climb. I finally reached a point where my children are now both in college and 401K is in check and began searching to see if there were any nice ones available in my range. Low and behold, I found one and immediately jumped on an '87 with 27k miles bone stock. I am so happy to finally have my car and will not depart from it hopefully. I just finished up a vacuum conversion as the PM failed on my inaugural drive home, lol.
Anyway, glad to finally be a part of such a unique and small community, and am sure I have a lot to learn!
Welcome to the community, now that you have your dreamcar, I have a couple questions for you. Are you going to enjoy your dream, like driving it on nice days, maybe do a few mods, drive it to a few shows, or are you going to have a GIANT Die Cast sitting in your garage covered up. 2nd...What state are you in

TurboTGuy

Gray Beard Member
That is definitely cool, between the almost 70 years of ownership we accumulated there would be some great storyline to tell lol... I've been fortunate to have never been stranded ( knock on wood) I've gotten old myself, can't run has fast has I use to, Gray hair all over, and 35 lbs heavier from 1987, but it's been a great ride

Holy shit!

I could have done without the "Gray hair all over" comment..........

Jus' sayin'. :sick:;)

turbobuick

Staff member
Congrats and welcome, post up some pics! 27k mile GN all stock, do you plan to mod it or enjoy it like it is? I just sold my low mile 86 and they really are cool to drive all stock like that. I was 16 in 1986 and remember to this day reading that C&D mag in school lol! I had to have one after that and got my first in 1989.

Grassguy

Welcome to the community, now that you have your dreamcar, I have a couple questions for you. Are you going to enjoy your dream, like driving it on nice days, maybe do a few mods, drive it to a few shows, or are you going to have a GIANT Die Cast sitting in your garage covered up. 2nd...What state are you in
It's a driver for Saturday morning Bible Study, occasional Fridays to work, and some shows here and there. Wanna still try to preserve mileage best I can, but it's not gonna sit. Some light mods best I can while retaining stock appearance. I'm in Missouri.