Aeromotive and E85

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
E85'ers,
I have contacted Aeromotive about compatibility of their products with E85. Jarred Cox responded that the A1000 pump and the fuel pressure regulator for EFI (13101) are both fine. The 100 micron stainless steel pre-filter (12304) is ok also. The 10 micron post-filter with fabric media (12301) is not compatible with alcohol. The fabric will swell. Jared recommends using the 100 micron stainless steel filter in the post-filter position. Hope I got the Aeromotive numbers right!

Conrad Carter

Summit makes a 10 and 100 micron stainless element filters,
Summit Inline Billet Fuel Filters: SUM-230117 - summitracing.com
Summit Inline Billet Fuel Filters: SUM-230117 - summitracing.com
or go with the Magnafuel 500 with 150 micron pre filter and there ya go. I think the Aero 1000 is $325 and the Summit filter is $80 so you still save about $125 over the Magnafuel 500 with filter.

I only have the pre filter on my GTO, but could see using two on FI due to injector clogging vs a possible jet issue. Actually had a tiny chunk of fuel hose in my bowl and the car ran fine but caused a float issue.

Be careful with the A1000. It flows great at lower pressures but falls off fast as pressure rises. If you have a FAST and can easily alter the fuel curve to work with lower pressure it would work great but for stock ECM use it would be hard to make work. If you run 45 psi static fuel pressure then run 26 psi of boost with a boost reference regulator you are already above what the pump is rated to produce. Click the link below and then check the "specs" tab and it shows a graph of the flwo vs. pressure. The flow is almost reduced by half by 65 psi.

Aeromotive Inc.

Strange you should mention that...I looked at the A1000 curve last night and came to the same conclusion. Looking at a Aeromotive Eliminator (11104).

Anyone want to buy a perfectly good A1000 pump with less than 1,000 miles on it?

Conrad

Dr.Boost,

I looked at the Summit links and found that both were for the same 100 micron SS filter (230117). Summit does have their 230115 in -10AN and 10 micron but it has a cellulose filter, not stainless steel. Darn, I thought we had it nailed!

Still looking for a 10 micron SS filter in -10 or -12AN.

Anyone?

Conrad

MagnaFuel makes a 24 micron post filter with SS element with -10AN inlet/outlet. It is 4.75" long by 2.125" diameter. Part number MP-7008. See link below. It's not 10 micron but 24 micron is a significantly better than 100 micron! I did NOT see a 'flow vs pressure drop' curve for any of their filters so that needs to be checked before placing an order.
Conrad

In-Line Fuel Filters

I have been using the A1000 for over a year with no issue. I'm only around 450-500 h:biggrin: p though.....

Oh two things,

1) Magnafuel 500 will not be the pump you want with EFI due to pressure at WOT. Here is the most killer EFI pump for E85 I have found and for only $320.
Race Pumps 1601 Fuel Pump EFI 150 PSI

2) It doesn't appear that Summit has a -10 10 micron Stainless Meshed Filter Element. I would call them to see if this is just a website issue and not what they really carry.

I found this Magnafuel 25 micron stainless mesh.
MagnaFuel Fuel Filters: MRF-MP-7008 - summitracing.com

Dr.Booster,
Has anyone tried this on their turbo Buick? I see that the FPR has a boost reference (good) and an idle reference (good). This blows my mind to think about a mechanical fuel pump for EFI!
Conrad

Oh two things,

1) Magnafuel 500 will not be the pump you want with EFI due to pressure at WOT. Here is the most killer EFI pump for E85 I have found and for only $320.
Race Pumps 1601 Fuel Pump EFI 150 PSI

How would you drive that pump on a Buick? Wouldn't you have to have a fuel pump ecentric in the timing cover on the cam like older cars that came with mechanical fuel pumps? Is that possible to add?

I think it might be possible because the timing cover on turbo cars have a blockoff plate bolted on instead of a mechanical fuel pump, but I don't know if the cam would work for something like that though. It might be worth looking into.

Man, I am sucking it up in this post, that pump will probably not work. :mad:

I might as well post a link to a Unicorn bladder hooked up to a 16 volt source.

Busch motor ran them

All the Busch motors ran mechanical pumps I have several pump ecentrics for roller cam set ups, don't give up yet..

Guys, I talked to Aeromotive at SEMA this year, and they told me they dont rate any of their pumps for E85 use. The only company out there with a killer pump, thats rated for Alcohol (methanol even), is Fuelab. Best of all, they have a 2 year warranty, not just 1, and they are so quiet you can barely hear them. Listen to your stereo, not your fuel pump! Go Fuelab!

charts-large.jpg

FieroX,
I checked with Jared Cox (jcox@aeromotiveinc.com) with Aeromotive this morning and he told me that they have "had zero failures to date due to E85". Who did you talk to at SEMA?
Conrad Carter
Hot Air

ps...Aeromotive now has a 40 micron stainless steel post-pump filter....#12335

Be aware of the Race Pump mechanical... Some of the street Chevy guys tried them w/ the following comment:
1. The guy they dealt with, when trying to resolve problem #2, was a dick..
2. The pumps were a problem w/ retaining prime.

Guys, I talked to Aeromotive at SEMA this year, and they told me they dont rate any of their pumps for E85 use. The only company out there with a killer pump, thats rated for Alcohol (methanol even), is Fuelab. Best of all, they have a 2 year warranty, not just 1, and they are so quiet you can barely hear them. Listen to your stereo, not your fuel pump! Go Fuelab!

I couldn't agree more. I just installed a 41402--got a flow sheet with it. It EASILY outflows a twin walbro intake set-up, has built-in variable speed operation(I have mine on a hobbs switch),compatible with all fuels.
It was definately more effort to get this external installed than say a drop in walbro set-up, but in the end i had about the same money as the walbro--but a vastly superior fuel delivery set-up.

Go Fuelab!!!

Geoff

FieroX,
I checked with Jared Cox (jcox@aeromotiveinc.com) with Aeromotive this morning and he told me that they have "had zero failures to date due to E85". Who did you talk to at SEMA?
Conrad Carter
Hot Air

ps...Aeromotive now has a 40 micron stainless steel post-pump filter....#12335

would you please tell me where to buy this stainless filter at. As neither jegs nore summit has them in there catalog.