AEM engine management?

webleyaz

Damn, that was fast!
Who's got a Supra or other crazy fast import with this system? I'm 2/3's through making this work on my TTA. There are some Supras around here running this system and it seems to work really well. I've tried to learn all I can from reading the manual but if someone knows some tricks that will save me some tuning time I'd love to hear them.

Now why didn't I think of that? Steve sets up and tunes many of the cars around here.
I am not a smart man.

Here's a tip- if you really want to save tuning time, put a FAST system on the TA instead ;)

TurboTR

And if you really want to make more power put a gen 7 + on it. :cool:

norbs said:
How much more power was the FAST to GenVII swap worth? Track times? Chassis Dyno #s ? WAG (wild ass guess)?

Well someone on this board made an extra 80 hp same boost same a/r ratio same timing. However the car has 1200 hp so it maybe less on your application............

Chris Lyons.......But you better ask him for the details

norbs said:
Well someone on this board made an extra 80 hp same boost same a/r ratio same timing. However the car has 1200 hp so it maybe less on your application............

LMAO this is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. :D
I heard the motec is worth 250HP....... ;)

WebL:

Where exactly are you with your install? I have experience with the AEM EMS although it isn't a Supra. Let me know what you are trying to accomplish and I will chime in if I can.

I have the 30-1010 box. My buddy is building the extra wiring harness this week. I'll be dropping off the LS-2 coil pigtails to him tomorrow. Apparently the crank trigger and cam sensor run through the coil pack module before going to the stock ECU so he's running new wires for those to go directly to the AEM. The rest of the factory harness will be used with an adapter cable. The connections are pretty much handled. I'm a bit concerned about getting it fired up. I'm not familiar at all with programmable EMS. I read the AEM manual and it said not to attempt to start the motor until some kind of map uploaded. This is where I get lost. The 30-1010 is a Honda box. I understand that it'll do many things, but I don't know where to start. I'd kinda like to have a clue before it's all wired and ready so I don't have it sitting around while I'm hunting for a clue.

You are a couple steps before where I can help. Unfortunately my system was a complete plug and play. It came with a MAP to get the car started. What I might suggest is spending sometime on board WWW.AEMPOWER.com.

As is the case here, there is a wide breadth of knowledge available on this board. There are many factory trained AEM tech's who frequent. I would simply post in the general tech area and go from there.

norbs said:

It sounds like there's a differenc in how one of them is computing AFR, or timing. Once you get past launch, if the PWs, and timing is the same, the performance should be close. A *fair* test would be tuning with each ecm, for optimum performance and seeing what the numbers are, IMO.

webleyaz said:
I have the 30-1010 box. My buddy is building the extra wiring harness this week. I'll be dropping off the LS-2 coil pigtails to him tomorrow. Apparently the crank trigger and cam sensor run through the coil pack module before going to the stock ECU so he's running new wires for those to go directly to the AEM. The rest of the factory harness will be used with an adapter cable. The connections are pretty much handled. I'm a bit concerned about getting it fired up. I'm not familiar at all with programmable EMS. I read the AEM manual and it said not to attempt to start the motor until some kind of map uploaded. This is where I get lost. The 30-1010 is a Honda box. I understand that it'll do many things, but I don't know where to start. I'd kinda like to have a clue before it's all wired and ready so I don't have it sitting around while I'm hunting for a clue.

I have not tried an AEM box on a TR yet. We just finished AEM training on the EMS box. When we get the second round of training, we will be able to get ahold of the universal box. The plan is to get something set up to run the universal box with the TRs.

As far as what you are doing, you can set up the cam and crank input parameters so that the AEM box can understand what is going on. I am not sure of the actual settings though.

If you need more help, go to the AEM Forums and I am sure that someone will be able to help you out better. http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/login.php

norbs said:
Now ive read everything :rolleyes:

I have to agree with John,THere is not magical ecm that will give you more power,If they are both tunned correctly they should be the same,YYou may see a bit of an increase going from B2B to Seq.
But i would say its more in the differnce of tune

Hell my car made one of its fastest passes on an a/f of 13.0-1!!!
I pulled the plugs with Lawrence Conley there,and he agreed they looked
perfect!!!!

This is were you will see a more precise tune while using a distributor

If there is no other way to do it, try this.

Get a timing and fuel map from a FAST or DFI car running the same combo as yours. You will have to enter it manually which seems a little backwards in doing it but that will certainly get you in the ballpark.

Once you have done that you should be alright. From what I have read about the AEM set up, it will monitor A/F ratios and then ask if you want to adjust them to the targeted ratios you want. So you can run around town with it, record the info, make changes to the map and have it running pretty smooth quickly.

I would be interested to know how much all of this is costing you for the harness and ECM to make it all work. I called around about doing it for a Buick a year or so ago and the cost was about the same for a DFI or FAST unit.

Good luck