Average repaint cost?

6gunn

high on gas fumes
I've been chasing my tail on a WOT issue where the car will just fall on it's face and won't shift into the next gear. It's mainly on the WOT 1-2 shift, but it sometimes does it when WOT downshifting as well. I suspect it may be weak valve springs in some reading here about the issue. As shown in the datalogs, the boost will drop when it does this...even with the gas pedal still to the floor! Do you think the valve springs are so weak that they aren't able to close under so much boost(30ish)? FWIW, it's got a 6776 Precision turbo, headers(Poston maybe), 3" downpipe, and ported stock heads as well as the other usual mods. Would it be worth a shot to turn the boost down to 25 or 20 and make a WOT pull to see if this confirms the problem being weak springs? Also, does this turbo really need 30psi to make power on these motors? What boost level would you suggest as a starting point? Thanks!

Attachments

• 56E07D68-D09C-4DE9-9322-37CED6C9985D.png
    56E07D68-D09C-4DE9-9322-37CED6C9985D.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 156
  • DSCN0004.JPG
    DSCN0004.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
How high are you revving it when this happens? It's good up until what point in the revs?

5,800-5,900 is the range that it stops pulling. No knock so it can't be pulling timing.

Just lowered the boost to 27psi and took it for another pull. Strange thing happened...once it stops pulling an I'm still at WOT, the car will NOT respond whatsoever until I lift off the gas pedal. I even kept it to the floor until about 1,200 RPMs to see if it would pick back up. Nope, dead as door nail until I lift off the gas pedal. If it were valve springs, wouldn't the motor come back after the RPMs drop to a certain amount? This made me think it could be something electrical. Coilpack maybe? It's of unknown age. TPS is new and has no dead spots. Cam sensor and crank sensor are of unknown age. Plugs all look good and wires are newish. 8.5 magnacore. Flooding with fuel? The AFRs don't look bad according to the logs, but maybe the alky is flooding it out? I'm, afraid to turn off the alky and try the pull without it. Spark blowout perhaps? They're all at .028

Last edited:
There's a certain range for each cam where it will fall off. The lifters could be a factor, perhaps pumping up holding valves open after a high rev blast. If you can rev all day long to 5500 I'd call it good and enjoy it for a while until you want to Id the cam and do new springs.

You can start with pulling the valve cover and looking at the springs to if any are broken. There are lots of videos on Youtube on how to measure lift with the cam in engine. I would guess if it's around 20 years old it's probably a flat tappet and probably smaller. It's possible the springs have weakened but I thing you are reving it too far for the powerband. I feel that turbo is too large for your mods.

Your 02 volts go to .02 your running out of fuel and on Alky only your IPW is steady 02 volts come up after lifting.
Fuel pressure regulator not following?

What chip are you running? It almost looks like it has a rev limiter on it. It looks like the fuel is being shut off at around 5900 rpm even though the injector duty cycle is still up so maybe spark is being shut down?

I agree...the turbo is too big. If it didn't come on the car already, I'd have probably went with a 6262 or so instead. The Turbosmart boost controller won't lower the boost less than 27psi, so I'm just going to remove it and plumb the wastegate directly from the cold side of the turbo...and adjust boost with the wastegate arm(threaded). Supposedly, the car was in the 11s according to the PO, but I highly doubt that given the condition of everything. Still ironing out issues 1 year after having the car and still haven't made a clean pull. Forget running it at the dragstrip until this is sorted out.

FPR is a new Kirban adjustable unit and is set to 43psi line off. Rises to about 62-63 under WOT but I'm not 100% sure(just glancing at the gauge). Maybe logging fuel pressure is a future mod. Alky is on 6 and I even backed it off to 4 for a WOT pull. No knock even at 4. 100% methanol.

List of mods directly from my notes...

compression test(warm) 3/8/20:
cyl #1-128
cyl #3-127
cyl #3-125
cyl #2-131
cyl #4-126
cyl #6-126
-Quick Performance Ford 9" rear w/11.120 drums 35 spline axles 3.40 gears
-adjustable upper control arms
-Alky Control methanol injection
-75lb Lucas fuel injectors
-67mm Precision turbo(6776BB)
-3" downpipe w/test pipe
-BeCool aluminum radiator
-Gbody parts front mount intercooler
-4" MAF pipe
-FTS billet antiballon 3200 stall 9.5 w/hardened stator
-MAF translator
-TurboTweak chip 93 street c16 race
-powerlogger
-vacuum brake conversion
-ARP head studs
-headers and crossover pipe
-TA heavy duty rocker shafts
-TA rocker shaft studs
-rocker shaft supports
-PTE turbo saver
-Hughes deep trans pan w/7004R filter

What chip are you running? It almost looks like it has a rev limiter on it. It looks like the fuel is being shut off at around 5900 rpm even though the injector duty cycle is still up so maybe spark is being shut down?

Just saw this...chip is a turbotweak chip the PO bought in 2008
Specs on the chip directly from Eric:
Chip 4053 was made in 2008 and is for 79lb injectors and alcohol injection.
[Chip Type:Alcohol Injection]

[Injector Type (part# helpful):79#]

[Fuel Octane:92]

[Turbo:6776bb]

[Intercooler:front mount]

[Torque Converter:3200 lock up]

[Cylinder Heads:stock]

[Camshaft:stock]

[ECM reading correct MPH?:Yes, it's within +/- 5 MPH]

[If alky injection, what kit?:razor]

[If alky, how many nozzles?:1]

[Intended max boost range:25-27]

[1/4 mile goals (if racing):11s]

Turbosmart has over boost protection and will cut boost. Is it. Eboost Street or 2 ? Have you confirmed Knock detector works ?
KOEO test.
What wideband? So I can look at it?
Intake air drops ,like lots of Alky spray With just one nozzle ?
Fuel pressure is about 10 lb low at WFO

If it really a stock cam and heads it would like to shift around 5000- 5200 max maybe a little sooner.

Turbosmart has over boost protection and will cut boost. Is it. Eboost Street or 2 ? Have you confirmed Knock detector works ?
KOEO test.
What wideband? So I can look at it?
Intake air drops ,like lots of Alky spray With just one nozzle ?
Fuel pressure is about 10 lb low at WFO

I removed the Turbosmart boost controller. I'm not sure on the model but it's red and has 2 wires coming from it. There was no difference with it removed and the boost level even stayed the same...27psi. Wideband is an AEM 30-4110. Knock detector is new and works well. Yes, 1 nozzle. I didn't notice the IAT drop when the alky sprays. Do you think the alky is richening the mixture to a point where it overwhelms the spark plug? At 27psi, the FP gauge should be showing 70psi of pressure(43 base), right? It's definately not showing 70...it's always a little above 60 when I look at it. Does it sound like the fuel pump can't keep up? Also, recently had to go through the process of pinning the governor spring. I used an 8/32 nylon screw. It was suggested that I use a metal screw to help add some weight and bring in the WOT shifts a little sooner. Seems they could come in 300-400 RPM sooner. Thoughts?

Does the flap in the downpipe move freely? You can get a 12v transducer for fuel logging here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/272759060859

Yes, it moves fine. I unscrewed the wastegate end 3 full turns and it only lowered the boost 1lb. I think I have one of those transducers already installed that came with the Autometer electric gauge kit. Can I just tap into the purple signal wire and run that over to the PL?

Does the flap in the downpipe move freely? You can get a 12v transducer for fuel logging here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/272759060859

Yes, it moves fine. I unscrewed the wastegate end 3 full turns and it only lowered the boost 1lb. I think I have one of those transducers that came with the Autometer electric gauge kit. Can I just tap into the signal wire and run that over to the PL?

Not sure on that. I never had an electric fuel pressure gauge. It would have to a 5v signal to the PL.

I keep looking at this one log. You roll in at 10 mph stab the throttle it takes 3 seconds to get to 40 mph and 3 more seconds and you gain nothing. I would think you would blow the tires off. Wide band not too bad like 02s. Don’t understand why the MAF after 5800 is jumping,like a bad signal. Then at WFO rpm falls to 1200 , mph holding. Does the engine fill like it has died. I would think mph would fall because converter should be locked (not TCC lock but stalled locked) and slowdown.
I ask myself that is one big turbo on a stock head and cam. Can the air be stacking up and unable to move ? Doesn’t seem logical. I have heard the word compressor stall but have no idea what that really is.
Has this car always acted like this our is this something new ?

PL shows it falling on its face. 02's and WB are agreeing. Do you have the blue knob on Razors alky set on it's default? If it's on default, I'm wondering if the ignition module is failing under load.