Advice - Prep/painting Gbody new OEM style bumper fillers

russgoodman

I've got these nice new fillers from Brian still in the box taking up space in my storm shelter while my stock fillers crumble away. Realized the other day that I needed to get them on the car after having to move them around during a couple of tornado warnings. The guy I was going to have paint them for me is still busy on a few other projects so I wanted to try them myself. The car needs a whole repaint so if its not perfect I won't be upset.

Starting off, Brian said they are pretty much scuff and shoot. So first thing, I will scuff them and clean them with w&g remover.

Second, should I use some bulldog or some kind of adhesive promoter? And if so, does it go on first?

Then I planned to spray epoxy over it, followed by a few coats of base and clear.

I've heard to use a flex agent in it. Do I mix that in the epoxy, base, or clear (or all three)?

Anybody have any advice to help me out or suggestions/problems with anything?

I've got Nason clear and epoxy already so I will probably go with Nason base as well.

Thanks, still trying to learn!

Honestly...black is easy. Especially the fillers. Use a scotch brite pad and scuff. Shoot a coat of filler primer on them and scuff them again with a very fine pad. Use some black dp90 epoxy primer and just clear them. They will look very good. It's not rocket science and you said you were due for a total repaint. This will make the fillers easier for the painter in the future to do.

russgoodman said:
I guess I forgot to specify that the car is dark blue metallic. Sorry Coach :)

Well then...instead of DP90, use the Gray. I can't recall the number, I think it's DP40. DP50 is white, I do remember that. I had several coats of that on my Pro Sreet car because its painted Yellowish/ orange.
Lite scuff on the primer and shoot the blue. Lite scuff on the blue...then clear them.

If these are the new TPO ones, You will need an adhesion promoter, do not put primer directly over the fillers. I would scuff with a gold of grey scotch brite, clean with soap and water, wipe with alcohol cleaner, adhesion promoter, sealer, base, clear. Don't scuff the base before clear, you will see the scratches. PPG has a plastic prep system that works great too.

forcefed3.8's said:
If these are the new TPO ones, You will need an adhesion promoter, do not put primer directly over the fillers. I would scuff with a gold of grey scotch brite, clean with soap and water, wipe with alcohol cleaner, adhesion promoter, sealer, base, clear. Don't scuff the base before clear, you will see the scratches. PPG has a plastic prep system that works great too.

Rob is a body and paint guy...do what he says.

Whats the steps for the header panel, headlight/tail light bezels, and rear trunk corners?
I guess the window mouldings as well.

Thanks, I plan to paint my car hopefully soon, gotta strip it down to bare metal, but everything is all apart.

Also need to paint the door handles too, but I figured I can treat it like the rest of the car since they are metal.

The header panel and 1/4 extensions are smc. They should be primed. The headlight and taillight bezels are plastic. I would just scuff them with a grey scothbrite ,clean, and spray with satin black spray can. Handles and trim the same way. I use SEM EZ Coat black for the trim.

The header panel and 1/4 extensions are smc. They should be primed. The headlight and taillight bezels are plastic. I would just scuff them with a grey scothbrite ,clean, and spray with satin black spray can. Handles and trim the same way. I use SEM EZ Coat black for the trim.
Do I have to remove all the paint and primer from the header panels and quarter extensions or just scuff prime and base clear?

I sand off all factory lacquer.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app
Is there a chemical stripper I should consider for this process with the extensions and header panel, or you just gotta sand them as the best method?

Sand the paint off with 150 or 180. Finish with 220. SMC can be primed no promoter needed.
I mean for the bumper fillers we talked about earlier, what adhesion promoter do you recommend because eastwoods needs to be heated after its applied.

I bought a can of bulldog at first. But I bought spi epoxy and decided to get the spi adhesion promoter. I still haven't painted mine and it's been like 2 years since I started the thread lol. Darn transmission issues kept putting me back, hopefully those are taken care of now and I can get on to the fillers

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I would go to a PPG paint supplier and get their plastic prep system. It is a sponge/scuff pad and cleaner, a prep wipe, and get the adhesion promoter in a spray can. I have never had a bumper peel when using this system. The system is called One Choice.

I forgot to update this thread once I finished. Here's the before shots!

Attachments

• 1449599046659.jpg
    1449599046659.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 227
  • 1449599073180.jpg
    1449599073180.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 1449599095654.jpg
    1449599095654.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 218
Turned out pretty good. I ended up doing all the painting myself. Not perfect but way better than they were.

Attachments

• 1449599159770.jpg
    1449599159770.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 1449599176631.jpg
    1449599176631.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 207
  • 1449599202556.jpg
    1449599202556.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 1449599217150.jpg
    1449599217150.jpg