Advice on leaking intercooler

ThikStik

My sleep apnea is winning
I have a Duttweiler 18 row stretch IC and it leaks in 3 places ...Iwhere the tubes mate to tanks. I think all is aluminum. Is there any way to get this fixed like at a radiator repair place...rare to find those now. I imagine aluminum to aluminum is hard to weld. Thanks

Thanks...but still wonder if someone local can just cinch up the little leaks or if it just has to be unsoldered and redone.?

Thanks....yes, I did use JB on its biggest leak years ago and its now just barely bubbling. May just do that on the new leak. I have wondered if someone welds on it if it will just start a cascade of leaks.

Ive heard of an epoxy called Accutek. And I used to use Devcon epoxy on old quadrajet wells....that definately proves it can take heat/cold cycles. Just dunno tho...a welder i know is worried itll burn too much to weld.

Have it Tigged. Might cost you $50 and it will be good as new. Grind out the JB Weld first.

John, how ya been?! Well, my best welder was scared of causing more problems. He only saw pics. I used an aircraft grade epoxy that i borrowed from a radiator business called Huntsman epoxy. It passed my lung tests anyway. Im like you...i think itd been an easy weld job. Its a Duttweiler stretch unit, and the flue ends (where they go into tank ends) have always been leak prone on that section of IC where it joins other half of IC. tnx

You can always get a bicycle innertube for a fat tire, cut it in half, stretch it over the inlets and pressurize it with the schrader valve. I've tested heater cores this way. Tube will cost you $5 at Walmart. Glad you're doing ok.

John, thats awesome info.....will be using that method asap. Funny thing, I chased 900+ rich mixtures for a long time when i first got this curse, uh , car. It was a combo of 2 things...the leaking inter cooler, and an egr valve that leaked to atmosphere....that is, it leaked boost, and vacuum! Ive nver seen an egr valve leak in this manner....not at pintle but at outside of manifold.

You can always get a bicycle innertube for a fat tire, cut it in half, stretch it over the inlets and pressurize it with the schrader valve. I've tested heater cores this way. Tube will cost you $5 at Walmart. Glad you're doing ok.
Great Tip !