Advice HID kit

Still have yet to this conversion yet on the car, but do have it planned for this spring when the air doesn't hurt my face. I was wondering...is it necessary to buy the $120 per pair Hella housings or do the cheaper $40 per pair housings work just as fine since the LEDs linked in this thread state they are designed to be used in regular reflector housings??

I understand the old phrase "you get what you pay for" but for as often as I'm usually out with the car at night, which isn't much, does it justify spending $240 for housings less the bulbs or $80 for all four housings??

I have had these on my turbo cars for a couple years. Work excellent; extra bright; great value; and look stock.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4651-H4652-H4666-H4656-Head-Light-Glass-Housing-Lamp-Chrome-4x6-LED-Kit-B/322177900131?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

You don't have to spend a lot to get good quality. Getting what you paid for is an old cliche that no longer works.

What would be the significance of this kit that has H4 and H1 mixed together? Does that make the swap easier to LEDs??

The H4 bulb has three prongs (low, high and ground) and the H1 is high beam only (high and ground).
The H1 housing is more of a spot light for long range light.

(4) H4 housings can be used (one of the prongs on the H4 bulb will need to be cut off or bent over as the high beam socket on the car only has two slots).

The H4 bulb has three prongs (low, high and ground) and the H1 is high beam only (high and ground).
The H1 housing is more of a spot light for long range light.

(4) H4 housings can be used (one of the prongs on the H4 bulb will need to be cut off or bent over as the high beam socket on the car only has two slots).

I appreciate both the short and the long answer as this is exactly what I was needing to know. Seems like using the combined H4 and H1 is the way to go. I will likely order the housings in the next couple of weeks and then the LED bulbs shortly after. I am in no rush right now as the car isn't going anywhere for at least 2 or 3 months.

Thank you for the explanation. I like to understand why I am doing something rather than just doing it because someone said this is what needs to be done.

What would be the significance of this kit that has H4 and H1 mixed together? Does that make the swap easier to LEDs??

You can see the difference in the lens patterns between the low beams and high beams.

Low beam.
IMG_5186.PNG

High beam.
IMG_5188.PNG

If you have a buddy at NAPA (or most others), they may be able to get you a good discount on the Hella vision plus housings. They will have to order them, but they can get them.

Watch fleabay as well. Every now and then there is a deal to be had.