adjustable wastegate vs boost controller

racer5252

i have always ran just a manual boost controller with a stock wastegate. I see alot of people run an adjustable wastegate. Do they both do the same thing or am i missing something?

Which manual boost controller are you talking about? I used a RJC manual controller and a HD wastegate so I could run over 22psi and have the benefit of the spool from the manual controller.

I wondered the same thing as I was installing my RJC controller after removing the stock actuator. Seems they both do the same thing.

The controller is your fine tuning plus it saves the fingers from getting burned! I think the standard w/g is around 6-7#'s up to 12#'s or so when tightened up and the h/d 's start around 12-14#'s and go up to 18- 20#'s, at least the one's I have used.

I'm not sure what brand the controller is. It has another knob inside the car for fine tuning too.

i though a manual boost controller lets you dial in how much boost before pressure is sent to the wastegate once pressure to wastegate then opens

in theory could you run a manual controller set for 100 pounds and at 100 pounds it would start to vent to wategate and say wastegate is 7-12# stock wastegate the wastegate would activate at 107-112?

or would you need heavy duty wastegate to be strong enough to overcome boost to open puck?

does puck swing with or against the presure?

My wastegate is set for approx 22psi. From there I turned up my boost controller 6 1/2 turns and was set at 25-26psi. I'm using my boost controller for fine tuning and quicker spool up as well. For some reason if I needed to turn down or take off the boost controller I know I'm at 22psi.

Had a normal adjustable wastegate and the spring was tired could not exceed 17 pounds. I put the HD waste gate in and have been up around 25. I also have the RJC boost controller on and it enables quicker spool and finer adjustment.

I currently run just an HD actuator with it adjusted all the way out is makes 12psi I can shorten it enough to run 20psi dont know how much over 20 it will because I can only run 17psi on pump it has gone 23psi when I had fuel in the car I have been looking at the RJC controller I have heard good things I may get one once I hook up the alky but for now since I only run 17psi the setup I have now is simple and it works great!

A month ago when I was at the track the wife wanted to blast the car down the track (her first time) I backed the rod out all the way it worked great slowed the car waaaaayyyy down it still scared her when it spooled she kept lifting lol it was fun!

W/the q-boost and a te-60, using either standard or h/d w/g, I could tune for 30#'s. however it would do best @27-28#.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've been curious about this as well. My car has a stock, non adjustable wg, and I've been trying to learn more about the adjustable wg vs mbc, and see what my best option would be.

with a normal wastegate, it start to open before hitting max boost. During the spoolup phase, you'll be venting exhaust pressure before hitting your target boost. With the brass MBC, it holds off pressure going to the wastegate until the last second, then lets it open rapidly.

That being said.... faster spoolup isn't always a faster car. If the rapid spoolup causes you to blow the tires off all the time. Than again, I do love me a good 2nd gear burnout :)

with a normal wastegate, it start to open before hitting max boost. During the spoolup phase, you'll be venting exhaust pressure before hitting your target boost. With the brass MBC, it holds off pressure going to the wastegate until the last second, then lets it open rapidly.

That being said.... faster spoolup isn't always a faster car. If the rapid spoolup causes you to blow the tires off all the time. Than again, I do love me a good 2nd gear burnout :)

Lol, I agree on the 2nd gear burnouts!

And really, I'm not looking for faster spool, just more boost. I've got a nice little Hughes converter that spools me plenty quick, I just want more boost!