Additional port work (finally completed)

Years ago I bought a Mac Tools porting kit that had most of the basic stuff excluding carbides.

I go back and forth between a lot of tools to get the shape and finish that I'm looking for. The basic process goes like this..... rough cuts start with the carbides, then the stones, next would be sandpaper rolls and for the final finish a Dremel with small drums seems to do a good job.

This is about all that was used for the entire job.

View attachment 272887

Thanks for taking that pic. You have a lot more than I do. I have a few carbide burrs and a few different sandpaper rolls left. I shelved this project till I get done with the roll bar install in my WH1. Hell, I don't even have a short block to put em on yet.

Mike, any updates on this? I blew the dust off mine and plan on having them at the machine shop this week.

The heads have been at the machine shop for a couple of months now. I asked him to replace the guides and call me so that I could see if the valve centering changed any. The porting is such that there will be no room for error on the valve job. He is a one man operation so I try not to bother him.

How much port work did you do?

I thought I had one head almost done. I kept finding things that needed improved on, so I have close to 5 more hours in that head alone. I did a lot more clean up around the valve guide bosses on both the intake and exhaust ports. I plan on finishing up by Wednesday and having them to my guy before the end of the week. I got into the seats a little more than I wanted, so I hope there's enough meat left for the valve job with the new ferrea valves. I'll post pics soon

I got into the seats a little more than I wanted, so I hope there's enough meat left for the valve job with the new ferrea valves. I'll post pics soon

Would love to see your pics, also you can make a tool that centers in the valve guide to mark your throat. It has a sharp point that scribes a radius line on the 60 cut as a reference point.

This is the type of tool that I was referring to. The scribe is set to the valve and then a pilot is inserted into the valve guide to center the scribe, this gives you a good border to follow while porting the throats. I will either make or by one of these in the future.

seat scribe.jpg

You can see in the last pic where I got into the seat way too much. I was using a long shank burr and didn't realize the smooth part of the shank eating away at it. I didn't think that was possible. Worst case it'll need new seats.

Tim, around your guides looks really nice and I think there will be plenty of room with the over sized intake valves for the valve job. You are probably on the edge with the exhaust side but worst case they can put seats in the exhaust side and you can blend them back in.

You have almost the same scenario as me.... the 45 on the exhaust side will have less contact area than I would like but I'm going to hold of on seats until next time around.

Ok a little update. The project has been on hold for a while waiting on the valve job and guides. Good news is that they're done I should get them back next week.
Had some real concerns because the throats were pushing the limit but it sounds as if that worked out well.

Did get a big surprise when they cc'd out to 44 as most who have followed this thread know that the chambers were opened up and the quench area was reduced by quite a bit. The quench areas have become somewhat interesting to me so I've posted questions on the topic in another forum. The photos below are a good representation of the changes and I'll post back if something interesting pops up from the other forum.

quench area dish stock.jpg

quench area dish modified.jpg

Looks great! I still haven't finished mine. Wish I was this far alone! So time consuming but they look excellent Mike, nice job!!

Looks great! I still haven't finished mine. Wish I was this far alone! So time consuming but they look excellent Mike, nice job!!

Thank you for the complement. It's really hard to stay motivated ...... mine went untouched for weeks or even months a few times.

Top Shelf !!!!!!!(y)

Thanks Gene. Hopefully the motor will be going back in soon and then we'll know.

I'll be waiting at the red light by the airport...............just in case you were curious!!!!!!!

Wonderful thread.

You posted about the quench area and chamber size, and were going to report back on what you found. Have you found or learned anything one way or another in regards to quench size and chamber size? I am in the middle of reading Dema Elgin's engine theory book, and I can see your thoughts being touched on in future chapters. Just curious if you had any insight. The more I can educate myself, the better :)

Thank you for taking the time to post an interesting and informative thread. No BS.