Additional port work (finally completed)

Looks really good, Mike. I started on the exhaust ports on mine, but I'm gonna fill my egr ports with aluminum before I go any further.

Thanks for the complement, I'm considering filling these as well. What method are you going to use to melt the aluminum? Maybe you can post some pictures when you do yours.

I've ported a few sets of heads in the past (these are the first Buick heads) so there is still a learning curve. One thing that helps me is to break the porting down into small steps. Do a little and move to the next port and repeat until your satisfied with the shape, this way your not committed and the shape kind of evolves. Another benefit is that if you are using stones by moving from port to port it stays more symmetrical as the stone wears down.

I did make a mistake as it got late yesterday and maybe I could caution you on this. I made mention above about blending the edge of the 60 degree into the pocket a little.....well I ended up getting complacent and removed about 50 % of the 60 degree (not good) so be careful in this area. I think the rule of thumb is about 85 percent throat to valve diameter.

Thanks for the complement, I'm considering filling these as well. What method are you going to use to melt the aluminum? Maybe you can post some pictures when you do yours.

I've ported a few sets of heads in the past (these are the first Buick heads) so there is still a learning curve. One thing that helps me is to break the porting down into small steps. Do a little and move to the next port and repeat until your satisfied with the shape, this way your not committed and the shape kind of evolves. Another benefit is that if you are using stones by moving from port to port it stays more symmetrical as the stone wears down.

I did make a mistake as it got late yesterday and maybe I could caution you on this. I made mention above about blending the edge of the 60 degree into the pocket a little.....well I ended up getting complacent and removed about 50 % of the 60 degree (not good) so be careful in this area. I think the rule of thumb is about 85 percent throat to valve diameter.

I've actually tried this already with no success. Melting the aluminum is the easy part. Got a piece of aluminum stock from my work, put it in a cast iron skillet I bought at Walmart. I really needed someone to help me with this (not enough hands). Held my acetylene torch under the skillet. Takes a few minutes, but brings it to liquid nicely. The hardest part when pouring it is keeping it from coming out the other side. Haven't figured out how to do this yet.

I've actually tried this already with no success. Melting the aluminum is the easy part. Got a piece of aluminum stock from my work, put it in a cast iron skillet I bought at Walmart. I really needed someone to help me with this (not enough hands). Held my acetylene torch under the skillet. Takes a few minutes, but brings it to liquid nicely. The hardest part when pouring it is keeping it from coming out the other side. Haven't figured out how to do this yet.
Maybe drill out a piece of flat steel to bolt up on the intake side to block that and pour it in the bowl side first and let it harden, then pour in the EGR side..2 step process?

Or maybe even epoxy the things? Probably easier to do.

My Man, Mike..............u sure have spent some time here!!!!!!!

Yes the hours do stack up. Not sure what I'll end up with when they are done. Some areas are about as thin as I care to take them so your always one step away from having scrap iron.

Maybe for fun we'll take your Duttweiler heads and these down to the flowbench.

I have never done this but would try packing the ports with some potters clay.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Went bigger on the throats than I planned on ( 92 % intake and 91% exhaust) but it should be ok.

IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1568.JPG
IMG_1572.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG
IMG_1578.JPG

Whoa...............saw these in person today and very impressive !! These should flow very well............. Mike T is the man !!!!

It was nice seeing you Gene. Time will tell if anything was gained or even lost with the latest changes.........the extra work may net HP equal to a set of chrome valve covers:).

Nice work Mike.....I hope they work out great for you.

View attachment 272350

Thanks for the complement fastblack. To this point the only thing that I regret doing is taking the throats to such a high percentage of valve diameter......everything is symmetrical but the 60 degree will be almost nonexistent. My machinist is not going to be happy with me.

My TBSS water pump went out just as I pulled up to the shop so I spent the day replacing that. I'll be working on them monday hopefully.

Looks really good, Mike. What are you using to leave that finish? I bought some sandpaper mandrels from Eastwood, and they work ok, but they don't last very long.

Looks really good, Mike. What are you using to leave that finish? I bought some sandpaper mandrels from Eastwood, and they work ok, but they don't last very long.

Years ago I bought a Mac Tools porting kit that had most of the basic stuff excluding carbides.

I go back and forth between a lot of tools to get the shape and finish that I'm looking for. The basic process goes like this..... rough cuts start with the carbides, then the stones, next would be sandpaper rolls and for the final finish a Dremel with small drums seems to do a good job.

This is about all that was used for the entire job.

IMG_1641.JPG

can any one tell me what the indention is for in the Iron head?

That's an excellent question.

The 350/455 have something very similar and appear to be located relative to the spark plug. Maybe something though to promote ignition? I left mine somewhat intact just in case:)