achalmersman stroker 4.1 build (291 block)

Do you know how much material your machinist took off the deck height or what the original deck height was
Sorry just saw this. I can't remember what the origional deck height was. I took the block to him not expecting it to need decked but asked him to check it for squarness (is that a word) to the mains etc. It was all over the place and if memory serves me correctly the worst spot was like 0.012" high.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Well after returning home from the TB nats as a spectator I had a box waiting for me. These are custom built for this engine build and look great. With tool steel pins of course [emoji3]. Also waiting for me was my winter propane bill, and my wifes next college semester tuition bills.... So as always money will be my delay. I go on call this week so thats a help. Next step is probably going to be rods crank and rings from David Husek however I am still working with Bison for lifters, cam, rockers, and pushrods. One thing that I may start working on that hopefully wont break the bank is modifying a set of factory headers I have. I plan to have them welded to fix driver side leak, add a high pressure bellows in the crossover, and an external gate below the turbo flange then have the flanges decked flat.

e52e166384bdfbe3abf82ce561b81396.jpg
aa3724bd0614e756e2478121806c25d5.jpg
6fe8f90b5b91abecbb8a3404cde8eaa3.jpg
5335f47c7787f0463292f19e5b7eaee2.jpg
f145218d473f8639d554934dd7457fe1.jpg

Last edited:
They look so similar to what I did for Ttype6 a few years back as posted in beginning of thread.... Let me know when you want the crank rods and rings. I will get more info from you then.

They look so similar to what I did for Ttype6 a few years back as posted in beginning of thread.... Let me know when you want the crank rods and rings. I will get more info from you then.
Yes I know. It's painfully obvious there is some kind of drama between the two of you with regards to this subject and I like you both and don't want to get in the middle of it. Out of respect for both of you I edited the identification markings on the slugs after noticing you did the same with yours. I don't know who was first or any of the details of the drama but I know I had been talking with him starting sround 2 years ago about these custom pistons. I didn't feel right not getting them from him even though you will be getting most of the business on my rotating assembly.

This entire build is not comming from one sole vendor or another. I have been talking with many people for quite a while and want to support you all. On top of this rotating assy you will continue to get trans sales from me in the future. When my dads car is out of paint and he burns up the SRTA that he installed under warranty while at the dealer or I burn up my TBP Standard Build DIY trans with this new build I will be in touch for more trans parts too!

This is one of my Race Tech pistons. They look just like yours because your pistons are Race Tech pistons.

DSC00550.JPG DSC00553.JPG DSC00558.JPG DSC00559.JPG

Yea.... I know. Both Earl and David use the same manufacture. I'm aware of whom makes my pistons since I have the spec sheet in front of me :)

I didn't post the manufacture name because David obviously blurred out the manufacture in his photos. Him and Earl obviously have some history with this specific product. I'm sorry to be in the middle of it. I bought the pistons from the guy that had been talking with me for around 2 years about them. It's as simple as that. I have spent money with David before, and will be buying expensive rings, a crank, rods, and bearings from him as well as paying him to fit and balance the assy.

David I sensed a little jab in your comment "They look so similar to what I did for Ttype6 a few years back as posted in beginning of thread...." if that was an incorrect interpretation I appologize.

I'm sorry I just wanted to avoid the debate about 2 people selling pistons from the same manufacture in my thread.

How are you coming along with this build. Have you made anymore progress. I have 291 block, so I'm very interested in this post.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No I'm broke lol. Block is still sitting on a stand. I keep it oiled. I have the custom pistons, nice ported TA SE heads, springs, Ti retainers, dual racetronix pumps, lines, regulator, dual feed rails, ported intake, Bison Alky plate, etc.

When money comes around I need rotating assembly and required machine work, cam, lifters, rockers. I plan to probably modify a stock set of headers, go with an external gate. Probably sell my gen 2 6266 and go with a Bison 6766. Also want to go xfi.

Had some thing come up and need to get my credit cards under control before I dive back into this. The car still has the OE block in it so its not like Im not enjoying my car. I'm sorry for those interested in the thread that it is taking this long

Last edited:
No I'm broke lol. Block is still sitting on a stand. I keep it oiled. I have the custom pistons, nice ported TA SE heads, springs, Ti retainers, dual racetronix pumps, lines, regulator, dual feed rails, ported intake, Bison Alky plate, etc.

When money comes around I need rotating assembly and required machine work, cam, lifters, rockers. I plan to probably modify a stock set of headers, go with an external gate. Probably sell my gen 2 6266 and go with a Bison 6766. Also want to go xfi.

Had some thing come up and need to get my credit cards under control before I dive back into this. The car still has the OE block in it so its not like Im not enjoying my car. I'm sorry for those interested in the thread that it is taking this long

Don't I know these cars ain't cheap [emoji16]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Wishing I had bought 8 pistons to have spares. Had a valve seat drop that chewed two pistons. Had to wait 6 weeks to get 2 pistons from Diamond. Been back together for about a month now. 291 block, 4in bore, 3.625 crank, 6.350 rods, 274ci.

Attachments

• A0187FE5-8225-428A-B135-282B6CE78C36.jpeg
    A0187FE5-8225-428A-B135-282B6CE78C36.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • DC9555ED-09E0-4830-A024-7AE59B724154.jpeg
    DC9555ED-09E0-4830-A024-7AE59B724154.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
  • A2AE02BD-A536-47F3-B3CC-3A60BE975131.jpeg
    A2AE02BD-A536-47F3-B3CC-3A60BE975131.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
Here’s are my 4.1 pistons earl got for me they look identical. Earl even balanced them for me . View attachment 311392
They're identical because they are the same Race Tech pistons. They probably have a different dish volume and pin location,but they are the same pistons. These are not pistons designed by Earl. They are pistons that Earl likes,that Race Tech makes. I like them as well,so I chose the dish volume,diameter,ring grooves,and pin location that I wanted to get to my desired compression ratio while using a .027" thick head gasket that allows the best port alignment to my TA SE head ports. I purchased these through Dave Husek who also likes them. These are very robust pistons.

Those are the older designed pistons. They're pretty much the top of 90's technology from when the lead engineer was Kenny Dutweilders piston guy. Those use a SBC pin but have Buicks in mind when designed. Very slight changes from then until now. Those aren't my design, that's how Dave was able to get them.

These are the ones that I designed and nobody but me can get. With these, they'll make a little less noise from a taller skirt and less thermal expansion, and can use either a Buick .940 pin or a .927 SBC pin. Both have the same default metric ring pack.

photo0942-jpg.238332

This is my dream shortblock build. I have a 291 block spotted and "one of these decades" I'm gonna duplicate this build. I already have a 484 block with a few deck cracks to be repaired (or ran as is).

I'm taking on-call and overtime pretty much as much as I can get it. I really hope to get back on this build this winter.