i loaded 4-5 cans of 134
i cant seem to get any more into car
low pressure stays around 30-40 with higj at 200

compressor does not cycle after i hook up low pressure switch

the compressure runs steady witb no cycle and i am not getting very cold air

any suggestions appreciated

thanks
joel

What's the out put temp from the center vents? From what you posted everything looks good. Remember that R-134 doesn't cool as well.

Remember you only use 85 % of the amount that the system used for R12, I believe it's about 46 oz., you may have to much in it for the system to work correctly. 5 cans would be 60 oz.

Sounds like you overcharged it to me. I think original charge with R12 was 52oz. So 85 % would be 44 oz.

Thanks guys, I just checked, I put in approximately 4 cans and maybe a 5th of a 5th. This is my first time and it was a bit tough getting the fitting on the top of the can the part that pierces the can to not leak once pierced and fully backed out. if I were to try again would I simply apply vacuum and then start over with the r134? Will the vacuum draw out the oil?
I'll check vent temp now, although it is a bit cool out right now.
Also, why would the compressor not cycle?
Thanks,
Joel

My non contact laser thermometer read 41-42 degrees, it is about 55-60 out, the dead leaves on the lawn shot 60.
The compressor is now cycling.
Maybe I did get it about right??? Would be a miracle as this was my first shot at it and I rarely get anything close to correct on the first pass.

Joel

When the system's fully charged it should only cycle when the out side temps are low. The only other time it should cycle is if it's low on refrigerant. Since each can is 12 OZ 4 cans would've been just about right. When the weather warms up put an actual thermometer in the center outlet and with the doors open and the system on max air see what the temp is.

The capacity is 3.5lbs of R-12. That's 4.5 of the little cans. Years ago when I charged mine I did the 80% thing and it wouldn't cool worth a flip so I charged it to the pressures the PT chart called for R134a (270psi @90 degrees) and it cooled and I wound up using the same as I would for an R-12 charge