AC Not Working

NoVA_87_GN

My AC doesn't appear to be working and taking a look in the engine bay, it appears that might be missing a hose (probably along with a few other things). I'm not overly familiar with AC systems so looking to get some help from the group. Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
For starters, the hoses from the compressor to the evaporator appear to be missing.
Condenser hose is missing.
With the system being left open for who knows how long, there's likely a considerable amt of work/$ involved to get it back in operation.

@Chuck Leeper any idea what considerable amount of $ means? just trying to get an idea. i might hold off getting is fixed until next spring, hopefully the warm summer temps start dying down soon.

If you are a do it yourself guy it's not that bad from a cost perspective. Looks like you need lines which I think Highway Stars sells, otherwise source used. I would recommend replacing the compressor if yours is original. Needs a dryer and orifice tube. Replace ALL orings. 134 conversion does well in these r12 systems. I'm going to assume you don't have AC machine or way to pull a vacuum on the system. Find a shop you trust for that. That will help you identify and rule out any leaks in the system once everything has been replaced.

Just getting the parts might be an issue. I'd start collecting them up now and see where you are. If you wait until spring some of the unobtainium might rear it's ugly head.
If it has been open you might figure on a new compressor. They don't like the open air.

And a newer design multi pass condenser should be considered.
A trip over to Highways Stars and the bag says it's about a grand for parts to do it right.

I got my compressor, switches, drier, oil, seals, & accumulator from Highway Stars.

Got a Spectra 7403 multi pass condenser online. Had my evaporator tested locally by my radiator guy.

Had my hoses re-done locally for 134a if you’re going that way.

I’d say Chuck is pretty close price wise depending on availability & shipping.