AC hard line?

ShawnR

Fixer of crap..
A LONG time ago (probably 1991) I blew my AC line that attaches to the back of the compressor. Of course I didn't keep it (who would?) so it makes it hard to get one made. Is there any chance any of you guys have one of those, or know where I might be able to get one?

Also, would they be the same as any other car of that era, or were they different due to the turbo setup?

Probably, at least for a start. If they are exclusive to the 83 style turbo motor, then I'm probably screwed. If they are the same as other 3.8s of the same era, then I have a chance.

Nobody happens to be able to find a GM part number for that piece would they? I could at least see if it crosses over to other vehicles.

I'll take some pictures tonight.

You might want to look at the 84/85 AC setup. It puts the compressor in a similar spot, but doesn't use the AIR/smog pump.

I'm going to Brian Lorenz's show tomorrow and will give them a look and do some measuring. I'll need a new drier, but at least parts are more likely to be available for that setup. The current engine is coming out relatively soon anyway so I don't want to sink much $$ into it, but it has been HOT and if I could get AC back for a couple of hundred, it would be worth it.

The short line is 23½" and the long is 40"

Attachments

• 20180707_080558.jpg
    20180707_080558.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 71
  • 20180707_080613.jpg
    20180707_080613.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20180707_080634.jpg
    20180707_080634.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20180707_080656.jpg
    20180707_080656.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 66
Thank you! I'll have to hit the junkyards and see what is available. I am hoping that one from a stock 3.8 will be the same. Pics show that the compressor is in about the same position. 80's cars are pretty much all gone from the junkyards anymore.

I went to Lorenz Racing turbo Buick show yesterday and was hoping to look at the setup for the 84/85 style and see if it would work, but out of the 65 or so cars that where there, not a SINGLE other "hot air" car other than my carbed beast.

Hell, there were even people that looked at it and never knew that Buick even made a carbed turbo car.

I'm going to go ahead and mount the R4 compressor back on even if it doesn't work. Need to fill up that hole in the engine compartment.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 62
I just cut down the original fan shroud when I switched to an electric fan. Painted with tuck bed liner and a couple of short sheet metal screws into the top flange of the radiator.

I am actually hesitating on the EFI upgrade since once I do it, it will be "just like all the others", but I WANT MORE POWER!

What power level do you think it would make with good roller cam, champion heads, E85 and our shitty intake/carb setup on top of it? I am guessing about 250 max and that just won't cut it.

I thought long and hard about a throttle body EFI, but I thinking about the J&S safeguard and data recorder. I figure I've gotten 250 HP out of my '83, so I believe 300+ is doable with the stock intake. Good timing/knock control is the biggest drawback to the stock system in my mine. I'm going to start playing with E85 in the near future (I ran it for years in my supercharged 3800).

I found it! Looking around in the "junk room" of Dad's barn I found the hose and my R4 compessor.

Still has a hole in it, but I'm fairly sure I can find some place that can fix it instead of starting over from scratch.

I just cut down the original fan shroud when I switched to an electric fan. Painted with tuck bed liner and a couple of short sheet metal screws into the top flange of the radiator.

I am actually hesitating on the EFI upgrade since once I do it, it will be "just like all the others", but I WANT MORE POWER!

What power level do you think it would make with good roller cam, champion heads, E85 and our shitty intake/carb setup on top of it? I am guessing about 250 max and that just won't cut it.
You should get more than 250 on gas.My engine pushes way more than that