A step above a TE44 ?

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
What turbo would be the next step up from a TE44 if I were to upgrade ? Currently I have a stock bore block, 214/214 cam, ported stock heads and intake, 80lb injectors and E85 chip from turbo tweak and will be adding a DW300 fuel pump. Trans is rebuilt and has some upgrades. My current converter is a stock D5 but I plan on changing that with the turbo if I do upgrade it, would love to have a car capable of running 11's flat. I'm making upgrades to my car now and figured now would be a good time to step up the turbo and converter

11.0s without ported heads is a challenge , with heads and a FMIC the te44 can get there but at that point if you have ported heads and a FMIC a larger turbo makes it easier

Most importantly I want something that spools fast so if that means leaving some speed on the table and rebuilding my TE44 I'm ok with that.

MFS 6262 and 9.5" converter. Message me if interested. I wouldn't try it on an internal gate. You will need to look at you fuel system if you want to even use 70% of the turbos potential. A little boost creep and its game over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go 6262 if my car was NHRA legal to run 10 flat.Its not.
I run a 5857 that is very street able and I'm sure it will go 11.5 in 2017 .
the word lag is not in this Turbo at all
Its easy to say , ill stop with just 11 flat and when they kick you off the track because you went 11.2 ,know you have to decide to add all the safety stuff witch ads weight and know she will only go 11.5 or stop racing at the track.
My 5857 will keep me legal at the track, it drives so good on the street and when i go to the track I can out run most true street cars that were driven to the track .Not all of them ,But they have gone to the expense of safety gear and reliability
I think we here the word GOALS on this form enough.I race my car and i will not put a roll bar in my car ever
My 2 cent

MFS 6262 and 9.5" converter. Message me if interested. I wouldn't try it on an internal gate. You will need to look at you fuel system if you want to even use 70% of the turbos potential. A little boost creep and its game over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could you elaborate a bit...Will his 80s and DW300 not be enought? You also mention boost creep, are you saying that's fuel system related?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

He's saying one dw300 and 80's on E-85 won't supply enough fuel if you have any boost creep pop goes the head gasket or worse. He needs to get a bigger or second pump and bigger injectors to keep up with a 6262.

He's saying one dw300 and 80's on E-85 won't supply enough fuel if you have any boost creep pop goes the head gasket or worse. He needs to get a bigger or second pump and bigger injectors to keep up with a 6262.
Would the same apply if it wasn't an E85 car? Say 93/alky, or race gas.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes with 20-25% less fuel capability for 93/alky. He could get away with the 80lb inj but I think one DW300 won't be enough or riding the razors edge. Regardless a 6262 needs alot of supporting items besides fuel capability (quality front mount, gn-1 or TA heads, 9" conv, etc.).

Hmmm......I'm by no means an expert, and lack the technical expertise that a lot of you guys have, but in my humble opinion, the 6262 is not a step ahead of a TE44 ......its a huge jump (step up).
Like the guys have said the 6262 has so much more potential but needs supporting mods to reach it & will require a decent budget to do.
Like hensleyt, I'm running a Precision DBB5857 with S ported shroud and would consider this a mild upgrade to the TE44.
It is does incorporate a billet wheel and dbl ball bearings which allow for a quick spool up.
The Precision .63 A/R exhaust housing can also be changed over to a Garrett .63 A/R housing for even quicker spool up, so your convertor should be able to be spool it well.

Step up would be a 60-1 (59mm) 62 turbine . Will flow up to 60#/min. You will need more converter.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Can't argue with old tec.
This is why we have a B-W thread going on too
The newer 5858 or older 5857 units cost more have some good HP , and are plug and play as for down pipe , boost control and intake you pulled of your 44 with 50+ HP and better spool
This turbo falls in between Old and New

I'd listen to Bison... he knows what works well together. On e85, spool up will not be an issue with a 6262. Your 80's will not be big enough, my 80's maxed out at only 15 psi of boost with a base fuel pressure of 45 psi. Look into the walbro 450 pump, a set of 120 injectors and some teflon lines if you want to maximize the 6262's potential on e85.

Op stated he wants 11.0's. 80's with the dw pump can take him there. Small compressor with a 62 turbine can work with the converter Bison mentioned.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk