Direct drum 16 spring retainer

Beginning to see some bending of the retainer. Asking if I'm the only one or are others seeing this, and if so what are you doing. As the retainer bends away from the piston, the springs are weaker. Open to any and all replies.

Depends on how far it is bent. A slight bend won't make any difference. If it's excessive I replace them. On dual feed setups I machine my own retainers. You have a picture?

They bend from improper install. The stamped part is hung on the inside diameter and someone compresses it. It can be straightened in a press. Put on a 3.5” piece of pipe and press on the center. You have to go past parallel because it has some spring to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on how far it is bent. A slight bend won't make any difference. If it's excessive I replace them. On dual feed setups I machine my own retainers. You have a picture?
The one Lee is referring to came out of my transmission. We have been dealing with a 2-3 flare. The unit is a dual feed 2004r with all the billet parts, Sonax servo, Raybestos blues in direct, upgraded direct apply springs, and a .550 boost valve.
We went through the transmission in November and noticed the OE retainer was concave. Prior to this rebuild the stock apply springs were being used. Since updating the spring we are concerned that the retainer will show the same bending at an earlier time during use. We are attempting to see what others are doing if anything to modify or replace the OE stamped steel direct clutch apply spring retainer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They bend from improper install. The stamped part is hung on the inside diameter and someone compresses it. It can be straightened in a press. Put on a 3.5” piece of pipe and press on the center. You have to go past parallel because it has some spring to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bison, I spoke to you on the phone about a week and a half ago about this. I will be pushing the car pretty good come spring. Last outing it ran 9.80 and was having to lift to get 3rd to take without burning the clutches and frictions. Currently freshening up the motor and making a few changes to the old build.

The one Lee is referring to came out of my transmission. We have been dealing with a 2-3 flare. The unit is a dual feed 2004r with all the billet parts, Sonax servo, Raybestos blues in direct, upgraded direct apply springs, and a .550 boost valve.
We went through the transmission in November and noticed the OE retainer was concave. Prior to this rebuild the stock apply springs were being used. Since updating the spring we are concerned that the retainer will show the same bending at an earlier time during use. We are attempting to see what others are doing if anything to modify or replace the OE stamped steel direct clutch apply spring retainer.

This is what I use in my dual feed setups.
P1010366.JPGP1010367.JPG

This is what I use in my dual feed setups.
View attachment 350222View attachment 350223
Nice piece. Couple ? Aluminum or steel? Looks to be aluminum. Are those heaverier than stock springs? Did you use a counter bore for the spring socket in the upgraded retainer? I have made a couple from .134 flat stock steel jsut using a drill press. A mill with a rotorary table would be nice. I will try to post a pic later

Nice piece. Couple ? Aluminum or steel? Looks to be aluminum. Are those heaverier than stock springs? Did you use a counter bore for the spring socket in the upgraded retainer? I have made a couple from .134 flat stock steel jsut using a drill press. A mill with a rotorary table would be nice. I will try to post a pic later

Attachments

• 3 rd gear retainer 005.JPG
    3 rd gear retainer 005.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 138
  • 3 rd gear retainer 009.JPG
    3 rd gear retainer 009.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 148
  • 3 rd gear retainer 014.JPG
    3 rd gear retainer 014.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 152
  • 3 rd gear retainer 011.JPG
    3 rd gear retainer 011.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 141
They are made from steel. The springs are heavier than stock. Yes... there is a counter bore/spring pocket for the springs. I use a combination of a lathe and mill with a rotary table to make them. I use them on my dual feed setups.

They are made from steel. The springs are heavier than stock. Yes... there is a counter bore/spring pocket for the springs. I use a combination of a lathe and mill with a rotary table to make them. I use them on my dual feed setups.
Maybe you should market them. I don't have the ability (tool) to counterbore, accurately anyway. I would be afraid to use mine with the upgraded springs. I may try it with stock springs. Any thoughts?