A review of Poston's GNX flares

Project TNX

Not really technical, but this is where the traffic is and I know some people were curious.

I could not in good conscious call these "direct bolt on" and no one should really expect any fiberglass part to be ready to bolt in. They could be buffed and bolted on, but not to any standard I would grace the TNX with. I was actually impressed with the quality as I got down and dirty with them.

The fiberglass is straight as an arrow, no warping, the lines match up, no air pockets, etc... So I wouldn't worry about a product being sent to you that has been used in a mold that is 50 pieces past due. The problem with why I would never consider them "direct bolt ons" is the outer edge, where they would attach to the welting material against the car. They are trimmed anywhere from 1/64th of an inch to 1/8th of an inch off of the line in which they should end, which is normal, but by the time you get the line trimmed down to where you wanted and get it sanded smooth you are through the black gelcoat and it would require paint to cover it.

What I did was grab an 80 grit piece of sand paper and placed it on a paint stirring stick and cut my line down close to where I needed it. Then I grabbed 220 and shaped the line down to it's final form and then grabbed a sponge to use as a sanding block and sanded the whole piece down with 220. On the worst piece I used a belt sander to take some fiberglass out, but I would only recommend someone really good with a belt sander to do that because it's alot easier and quicker to sand by hand then have to pull out the filler out and start building the piece back out. I did that on the right rear that had 1/8" of extra material and never got too close to the final line. Now obviously if you were'nt going to paint yours you would never go with either sandpaper grain I used as they are way too low for a polishing job.

It took me roughly 45 minutes per piece, and only one piece required some bondo on a very small thin spot that got sanded through. Overall I am very happy with it. They actually required less body work than I anticipated. I'm primering them Thursday, weather permitting with all my other bumper fillers and small items like mirror's, etc..

gnxflares1.jpg

gnxflares2.jpg

gnxflares3.jpg

Nothing says I love you Honey more then car parts on the dining room table;)

There's something about that raised eyebrow and "Are you for real?"question that made me sooo glad to sign that mother's day card!:biggrin:
Flares lookin' good gotta see shots on the car.....

There's something about that raised eyebrow and "Are you for real?"question that made me sooo glad to sign that mother's day card!:biggrin:
Flares lookin' good gotta see shots on the car.....

LOL aint that the truth, always seems to be pattern with car guys posting pics with rims holding up coffee tables, pistons on the book shelf.

get em installed and post some under shots as well..they would look nice on mine

When do we get to see them on the car??

I'm prepping ALL the body pieces this week, then I'll paint the parts off the car next week or whenever I can, work and weather permitting.

Cliffs: Soon, very soon.

:cool:

Nothing says I love you Honey more then car parts on the dining room table;)

I got a keeper, she's really never given me a hard time about my eccentricities but she is ready to see this car done, LOL.

:tongue:

I'm prepping ALL the body pieces this week, then I'll paint the parts off the car next week or whenever I can, work and weather permitting.

Cliffs: Soon, very soon.

Cool, bout time you got back to work on her, slow down on posting on those other boards & get your car back together. :eek:

Cool, bout time you got back to work on her, slow down on posting on those other boards & get your car back together. :eek:

LoL, I need some new account names and new projects, I've been labelled a slacker, haha. :biggrin:

Tonight is bumper filler night, yay!! :frown:

how do they mount? screws from the wheel well? how do you keep them from scratching the outside of the fender?

how do they mount? screws from the wheel well? how do you keep them from scratching the outside of the fender?

You screw them into the wheel well and there is a soft flexible plastic piece (welting) that goes in between the flare and the fender. I was told by a body man to superglue the welting to the flare though, seems kind of shady, I think I'll buy a really good epoxy and be super careful while attaching it to the flare.