It certainly has me thinking more about purchasing Cal's coil on plug kit to ditch the dizzy and MSD. Any thoughts on compatability from the experts?
From lsxtv.com: AEM Releases New High-Output Inductive Coils for Your Boosted Car
AEM’s High-Ouput Inductive Coils Deliver CDI-Level Spark Energy
Huge Spark Energy and Voltage, Combined with Long Spark Duration Make AEM’s Inductive Coils a MUST for Boosted Vehicles
Any enthusiast running boost, nitrous or high RPMs is aware of the trade-offs associated with inductive coils versus converting to a capacitive-type discharge ignition system (CDI). The typical argument is that inductive coils deliver a long spark duration with simplicity, but not enough energy to light off the combustion chamber of a modified high-performance vehicle. In contrast, CDIs deliver intense energy but with practically no spark duration, making the proper mixture in the combustion chamber critical for best performance. This tradeoff ends with AEM’s High-Output Inductive Coils, the first inductive coils that deliver CDI-like spark energy and voltage, and the long spark duration necessary for vehicles running forced induction and nitrous.
“SMART” AND “DUMB” COILS COME WITHOUT OR WITH AN IGNITER
AEM offers two versions of its High-Output Inductive Coils; An IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor) ‘smart’ coil (PN 30-2853, street price approximately $78.00) for use without an external igniter, and ‘dumb’ coil (PN 30-2852, street price approximately $56.00) for use with an external igniter.
WHAT IT DOES
AEM’s High-Output Inductive Coils each deliver over 100mJ of spark energy and a minimum of 40,000 Volts—as much as most CDI systems, without the need for a CDI module! They also provide very long spark duration at full energy, unlike CDI systems and multiple spark systems which fire off small spark events prior to and after its CDI burst to mimic longer spark duration. The full energy delivery and long duration of AEM’s High-Output Inductive Coils eliminate the need to compromise energy or duration with your ignition system, and will increase performance in high-boost or high compression engines..
WHY YOU WANT ONE
AEM’s High-Output Inductive Coils deliver CDI-like spark energy with the long duration of an inductive coil, and easily install in place of your exiting coils without the need to add a CDI. AEM’s coils are constructed to operate in harsh environments. They are shock and weatherproof, allowing them to be mounted virtually anywhere. They are affordable—less than the cost of aftermarket LS1 coils—and deliver World Class performance. “These coils are on 2,000-horsepower nitrous motors without a CDI, and they perform flawlessly. We think they are in a class by themselves”, stated John Romero, AEM Director of Product Development
- CDI-like spark energy without the need for a CDI
- Less expensive than aftermarket LS1 coils
- Robust construction allows them to be mounted almost anywhere
- Available for vehicles with or without external igniters
- Massive Spark Energy, up to 118 mJ! (103 mJ 30-2853, 118 mJ 30-2852)
- Incredibly long spark duration, up to 3.2mS! (2.9 mS 30-2853, 3.2mS 30-2852)
- Up to 41kV Output Voltage, without a CDI! (40kV 30-2853, 41kV 30-2852)
- Weather and Shockproof design
- Can be mounted directly to the Engine
AEM High Output Inductive Ignition Coils are legal in California only for racing vehicles which may never be used upon a highway.
- Output (no load): 40kV minimum
- Output (50pF load): 40kV +/- 10% (PN 30-2853), 41kV +/- 10% (PN 30-2852)
- Output Energy: 103 mJ +/- 7% (PN 30-2853), 118 mJ +/- 7% (PN 30-2852)
- Peak Secondary Current: 102 mA +/- 10% (PN 30-2853), 100 mA +/- 10% (PN 30-2852)
- Arc Duration: 2.9mS +/- 10% (PN 30-2853), 3.2mS +/- 10% (PN 30-2852)
- Turns Ratio 71:1
- Maximum Current: 19 Amps
- Maximum Battery Voltage: 17 Volts
- Base Dwell: 3.0 mS
- Max Continuous Dwell: 9 mS but don’t exceed 40% duty cycle
- Max Intermittent Dwell: 80% duty cycle, 5 seconds maximum
- Mating Connector: Packard/Delphi 12162825 “Pull to Seat” (PN 30-2853), Packard/Delphi 12162182 (PN 30-2852)
- Mating Contacts: Packard/Delphi 12124075 “Pull to Seat”
- High Tension Wire Terminal: HEI “spark plug top” Style