A few general questions

That GN Guy

I've been resurrecting my GN that's been sitting a long time. I've run into a few head scatchers.

1. What's missing from the horn area? I know it needs a turn signal canceling cam, the top is broke off and it needs the spring and such. But there is nothing to plug it into, the horn button is just a bunch of rubber. Anyone know what's missing and where I could find it? Car has an external horn button and I'm trying to go factory.

2. Bov vacuum plumbing. There is a top and bottom port and only the bottom port is hooked to manifold vacuum. Top port isn't capped. The fmic has inlet and outlet on driver's side, no idea what brand. Car spooled slow when I drove it last in 06, possible cause?

3. Mystery plug on oil pan, has a single blayde male connector on it, no wires near by. Any idea what that could be?

4. Do these look like factory valve springs? Head bolts have ARP stamped on them, rockers and shafts appear factory. I don't really know what's inside that motor. When I get a new chip I'd like to have a better idea of what to say. Currently has a TT chip for the 60lb injectors.

I fixed the loose steering wheel, ditched the sludge master, replaced turn signal stalk, fuel pump and lines, dew sweeps, new locks, door lock actuators, window motors, the list goes on. The ancient alcohol system and Max Effort chip are in the garbage and about 20 lbs of other junk. Believe it or not, I removed 2 ratchet straps from this thing 😆

If there is a better way of posting photos I'm all ears, site says photos are too large.

Items 2 and 3.
2. I'd pull the ic, block that BOV, before I tried any tuning, troubleshooting.
A BOV should be as close to the t/b as possible.
3. As a single wire connection would say it may be an over-temp warning lite?

The original valve springs sat in a steel cup. Slow spool could be a mismatched convertor/turbo. If you don't know what turbo is on the car, remove the chip. Eric will have a 4-5 digit number written or printed on it. He'll be able to tell from that number the size turbo it was burned for. When you get it running, post the Scanmaster numbers in Park with the engine warmed up.

Pull that drain valve out and put a plug in it. You’ll hit something in the road and tear that out. Bye bye oil pressure.

Thanks for everything so far. I was thinking the same about that drain plug, doesn't look safe hanging down that far. It does look like it's one of those fumoto things. I'm not married to the bov, probably easier to block it off.

Scooby, the TT chip in it is one I ordered. The factory pcm was dead, replaced. The chip was a max effort from Caspers I believe, the one with the black wheel and selectable tunes via the ash tray. Also dead and replaced. I bought the 60s, it had 55lb low impedance and one was stuck open. The convertor is pink, no discernable markings so far, factory pan is welded to be deeper, aftermarket hurst shifter. Turbo exhaust housing says precision, compressor housing has been ground smooth and polished. Can't be much bigger than stock, it would fit under factory shield if it had one. I'll probably replace it later with something known and modern. Don't have a scan master yet, it will get one.

Anyone have input on the horn? I hate the external button.

Take some pics of the turbo. I'll get Mr Spool to look at them. With the convertor being pink I'll take a guess at a Precision. Get some numbers off it if you can.

That's not a stock turbo. Likely a TE44. Looks like there is a pusher fan in front of the condenser which really shouldn't be needed if the cooling system is up to snuff, especially if you have a slic. Dump the bov.

@Mr.Spool

Can you nail down this turbo?
Not from that pic.
The pic doesnt show much
Really the cover from a bad angle that's been tapped
And it's a small one.
I've seen those covers before but there can be a few different sizes.
I would have the op pull the maf pipe and downpipe off and measure the wheels and see what they are.
Also the slow spool could be the wastegate leaking and the blow off valve leaking as well as a host of other things😉

Not from that pic.
The pic doesnt show much
Really the cover from a bad angle that's been tapped
And it's a small one.
I've seen those covers before but there can be a few different sizes.
I would have the op pull the maf pipe and downpipe off and measure the wheels and see what they are.
Also the slow spool could be the wastegate leaking and the blow off valve leaking as well as a host of other things😉
He has several pics at reply 11.