A/C questions

stage1gn

Hey guys , I want to get my A/C back up and working in my 87 GN . Still all orig parts/components . Compressor went bad a few years ago . Still had a charge in it , so it didn't leak out . Still on R12, and have some in stock and going to keep it R12 .
Highway stars sells the brand new compressor , I guess I should be putting a new drier , and orifice tube , and do all new a/c O rings . I have a friend with a reclaimer , and can/will be doing a vacuum test to see if it leaks down .
Any other recommendations ? Thanks

Make sure the oil in new compressor is compatible with R12. Most come with oil for 134A in the compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the compressor had internal damage it may have gotten fine metal particles in your system. Might replace the condenser to if that happened. Also flush any remaining part not being replaced if you have metal in the lines when you open the system.

If the compressor had internal damage it may have gotten fine metal particles in your system. Might replace the condenser to if that happened. Also flush any remaining part not being replaced if you have metal in the lines when you open the system.

Good comment , my compressor did fail and was making a knocking noise !

Condenser for sure, accumulator and I would remove the evaporator from the ac box and flush that out. Evaporators are not available. Since I had the whole system apart on my GN I pulled a vacuum on each individual part before assembling to make sure nothing leaked. Be sure to flush your hoses out as I am sure you will be reusing since it is such a low mileage car. I did the system on my GN and also on Dave's UNREALX and still running great, knock on wood. If you want a smoking deal, I have a new aftermarket condenser AND accumulator. $50 for both . You going to the Middletown cruise tomorrow?

Make sure the oil in new compressor is compatible with R12. Most come with oil for 134A in the compressor.

This is a great comment and very true. New compressors come with PAG oil now for 134. You'll need to flush it with mineral oil. Cudos to keeping it R12. I do the same. Colder and less head pressure on the system.

Condenser for sure, accumulator and I would remove the evaporator from the ac box and flush that out. Evaporators are not available. Since I had the whole system apart on my GN I pulled a vacuum on each individual part before assembling to make sure nothing leaked. Be sure to flush your hoses out as I am sure you will be reusing since it is such a low mileage car. I did the system on my GN and also on Dave's UNREALX and still running great, knock on wood. If you want a smoking deal, I have a new aftermarket condenser AND accumulator. $50 for both . You going to the Middletown cruise tomorrow?

That's an awesome deal. I would jump on that quick...

FYI, the two compressors I bought from Highway Stars were shipped oil less. Did one on my GN and one on UNREALX

Usually if it is converted there would be a conversion fitting on the accumulator. Doesn't stop someone from taking it off once the conversion has been done though.

Hi Mark , thanks , that sounds great , I'll take them ! This is for my GN , not the X . The GN not a low mile car , it has 83k on it now . Unless some consider that low , lol !!! Not going to the Middletown show . Let me know when you want to hook up .

Hi Mark , thanks , that sounds great , I'll take them ! This is for my GN , not the X . The GN not a low mile car , it has 83k on it now . Unless some consider that low , lol !!! Not going to the Middletown show . Let me know when you want to hook up .
Saturday might go up to the cruise on the pike at the Pizza Loft (old Panera Bread cruise) Monday I will be at the drag reunion show in wallingford.

Advance shows 2 different evaporators for our cars https://m.advanceautoparts.com/p/to...or-t54432/3880923-P?searchTerm=a/c+evaporator