A/C compressor noise when A/C off

MRP78

Redid the A/C on my Turbo Buick with new AC Delco compressor, accumulator/drier, and orifice tube. It works great and is nice and cool. When I shut off the A/C with it running and the clutch disengages it makes a metal on metal sound grinding rotating sound. There are also shavings on the face of the compressor. If I turn it back on it is nice and quiet. I'm thinking this new compressor came with a defective clutch bearing/assembly? Can I just replace that bearing and if so how bad of a job is it or do I need to replace the whole compressor again?

Sounds like you don't have any clutch air gap when the AC is off causing the clutch to drag. The only external bearing on the R4 compressor is the pulley bearing. The clutch is attached to the compressor shaft and the shaft bearings are inside the compressor behind the shaft seal so it probably isn't the shaft bearing. With the belt off does the clutch drag when you spin the pulley - does the pulley feel like the pulley bearing is bad?

You would need to get the clutch removal tool. Pull the clutch out a bit and shoot for .030 gap between pulley and clutch.
If bearing is bad, it's still fixable but it's a royal PITA to swap. Almost easier to get a new pulley.

Is it likely or not very likely that clutch dragging would ruin the compressor? The inside of the pulley has threads and a nut in the center. I've never used a clutch removal tool before how does it work on the R4 compressor?

This is a new compressor? Don't you have warranty?
If not, and the a/c is still cold, you probably just have a bad bearing.
It's easier to work on out of the car.
You rent a puller and do this:

There's also a bearing video- none of the ones I've pulled look like it but it give you an idea.
Video will not cooperate with me but it's there if you look.

Good Luck.

This is a new compressor? Don't you have warranty?
If not, and the a/c is still cold, you probably just have a bad bearing.
It's easier to work on out of the car.
You rent a puller and do this:

There's also a bearing video- none of the ones I've pulled look like it but it give you an idea.
Video will not cooperate with me but it's there if you look.

Good Luck.

It is a new compressor and it does have a warranty but I think dealing with that may be harder than fixing this one or buying another. At most the gap between the clutch and pulley is 0.02 meaning I cannot get a 0.021 or larger feeler gauge in the gap. Could that be the issue? There is no bearing play yet. I'm wondering if I should try and adjust this one or since the clutch assembly on the old compressor did fine should I try switching that one to this one?

Get a puller and slowly pull it to .030 and see how it works.
It's not as hard as it seems. Hardest part is getting correct puller.

My guess is the compressor was hit or dropped on the clutch maybe in shipping. What is the minimum clutch air gap? It may be bent - out of square.

Do I need to remove the nut in the center to adjust the clutch out?

The clearance all around is the same. Not bent. I can easily fit a 0.03 in the gap on the old compressor where on this one it is difficult to get a 0.02 and definitely no more.

I would undo the nut to be on the safe side- want to make sure you're not fighting a loosing battle. It's a royal PITA as it will want to spin.... I've broken them loose by having them on my bench vice...

Not sure how to do this while it's on the car.

I don't understand how you can have .020" air gap and be burnishing metal with the compressor off.

I don't understand how you can have .020" air gap and be burnishing metal with the compressor off.

There is very little if any air gap. I can separate it enough if I force it to get 0.20" gauge in between the clutch and the pulley.

ok, I understand - air gap is the "clearance" with minimal drag on the feeler gage. If you force it the plate flexes and it isn't the true air gap. It sounds like you have much less than .020". When you find a puller you don't need to remove the clutch driver - just move it enough to get a clear .025 - .030" meaning the feeler just rubs.