A arms and ball joint questions

captndave737

1.What do taller upper ball joints do?
2. Whats the difference between DSE, UMI, Hostchkis, and Ride Tech A arms in ride and handling?
3. I have 2" drop spindles. Will the above work with these?

Contact Scott at GNS. He'll give every option available from every manufacturer that's out there.

1.What do taller upper ball joints do?

Change the effective spindle height and alters the arc the control arms travel in to generate more camber in compression, also raises the roll center to a more manageable location.

2. Whats the difference between DSE, UMI, Hostchkis, and Ride Tech A arms in ride and handling?

Almost nothing in ride quality. That's controlled by your shock and spring choice and condition of your bushings. The UMI, Ridetech, and Speedtech arms feature more offset between the upper and lower ball joints to give you more caster, which helps with turn-in. Pick based on price, bushing material, and whether or not you're converting to a threaded-body coilover shock.

3. I have 2" drop spindles. Will the above work with these?

Yes, they will bolt together, but if you care about handling, get rid of those and go back to standard spindles. They are a cosmetic upgrade only, they only cause problems if you're trying to optimize the front end for handling. The UMI, Ridetech, and Speedtech arms were designed assuming stock spindles and adjusting ride height with the spring.

Conversely, if you like the ride height and aren't going to be racing the car in an environment where you need to turn, save your money and don't buy aftermarket control arms. You don't need them. You can get 90% of the benefit with tall ball upper joints in the stock arms and a good alignment. It'll handle more like a modern car with just the ball joints. You won't be winning any autocrosses, but it'll be MUCH better than it is now.

But if you still want the blang blang parts, call Scot. He will hook you up.

Interesting. I always thought lowering springs would change the geometry and spindles would keep it the same. Guess I'll be going for taller ball joints.

Thanks.

Interesting. I always thought lowering springs would change the geometry and spindles would keep it the same. Guess I'll be going for taller ball joints.

Thanks.

The geometry doesn't change with either.

Springs control ride height and how far the suspension can move. Shocks control how quickly the suspension can move. But the geometry is controlled by the locations of the pivots. Think of the control arms forming a set of triangles. When you lengthen or shorten a leg of the triangle, all the angles inside the triangle change. That's your geometry.

So a well designed set of arms with proper length spindle puts the tire on the ground and maximizes the contact patch through the entire range of motion. When you move the location of the tire by sliding it up or down the face of the triangle it's mounted on and don't account for it elsewhere, you compromise the setup. The geometry is the same, but the wheel isn't in the spot the designer wants it to be in.