9-11 converter

supa6t

does anyone run one of these seems like the best of both woulds lock up and u get the 9 inch for the quick spool might get one.

They are similar, both pump fluid, both are round, but not nearly the same. Ask around the board and get more responses before moving on it

Well lets hear it? Since I am in the learning phase I would like to understand the fundemental differences that are out there.:confused: I am looking for the "technical details" that make one better than the other.. And hoping not to put in a plug for anyone at the same time.

So what are the KEY differentiators from PTS to the others technically. I have heard nothing but great things but would like to understand the mechanics that surround the rumors or should I say, substantiated rumors.

Everyone (Hughes, PATS, Precision, etc) claims the same capabilities and i know bar none that the support is outstanding..

I also run the 9x11 and can attest that for the $600 it is definitely worth the cost. One free stall change, plus you have Bruce standing behind it telling you to beat the heck out of it.
So far so good :)

Good question. I don't see what the PTS (or whoever makes it) has for internals. In plain English on Pat's site you will find the info. If not give Steve Barr a call and he can explain it in converter guys talk (not round or pumps fluid). Pat's 10" weighed less than the PTS unit if that helps any. A properly matched converter will spool a PT-100 if it is right. May want to check your price on the PTS unit because it looks like it has ballooned up a little over the one stated. What ever turns your wheels.

Intercooler,

I hear you.. But considering the difference here.. Mechanically..

I mean take a Chev Avalanche vs a Cadillac Escalade..

Guts are very similar and the rest is cosmetics with a 20k difference for the Grill ornamant.

I am not in a position to say which converter is better than the other.. The only thing I can say is that I need one. But like all consumers I need to understand the differences and what makes one "better" than the other.

Unable to do so at this time and was preferring this forum instead.. Do you know?

They aren't rocket science or magical. That goes for all converters. You can see a cut-away of Pat's converter in plain view on the site. I am no converter expert by far but the main important pieces would be the anti-balloon plates, input area material, sprag type, turbine and lock-up clutch material. All I am saying is if all things are pretty much = the extra cash could be put towards a set of injectors, cam, fuel pump, etc.... Here is another option: http://www.dynamicconverters.com Read all you can and ask questions of each supplier. There are more than you would think, not just the typical ones we all hear about (good or bad).

Pats dont seem to be all that much more inexpensive and atleast with bruce who really stands behind his products especially for the turbobuick guys, you would be supporting one of our better turbo buick vendors. when i get my cash together im going for one of bruces killer street transmissions and a 9/11 converter.

$200.00 is a decent amount to me is all. Besides that going local has its advantages....nice to keep them within punching distance :D

Originally posted by Intercooler
$200.00 is a decent amount to me is all. Besides that going local has its advantages....nice to keep them within punching distance :D

I find this sort of ironic after you just blew up one of this Pat guy's converters without ever making it near the track. :eek: I have bought two or three of the 9-11s from TCS (Bruce's supplier) and we have them in several local mid 11 to high 10s cars. Haven't broken one yet. :) You can read some generic info on the construction of TCS's converters at their site; http://www.tcsperformance.com/ .

I didn't blow it up. One of the snap rings that holds the bearings came out. When I had it restalled it must of not been seated all the way....**** happens. I got taken care of. Steve did a 400 converter the same way for me for my trouble. To each their own. I think Steve is a down to Earth guy so that is the reason I suggest him. From what I am told one if not the best converters out there is an ATI. It is big bucks! It is the car owners decision when all is said and done. Nobody likes Hypers but I have them too:D and the cheaper CK Performance billet 200 parts:D I deal with it if I have a problem.

I too will be needing a converter, It would be interesting for several people who have cars in the 10 sec. range to post replys as to what converter they have and what 60ft. they are getting. A converter that works for a 12 sec car might not hold up in a 10 sec car. On the other hand as far as durability is concerned a 10 sec cars converter should hold up just fine in a 12 sec ride.

I have a 200 from Bruce and a 9/11. I dyno over 650 on motor and 825ish on nitrous. My 60's are right at 1.60 on drag radials driving it off the street onto the track. I power brake it to 3000-3200 and mash it on the green. Motor is getting slight tune up right now with new pistons and a much bigger shot of nitrous. I will be pushing an easy 900 horse at the crank after this freshining. The last thing I have a concern about is the tranny and converter. I have run the tranny and converter for two years now.

It pleases me that I am one of those customers that has just faded away and Bruce has never heard from again.

I bought the Pats 10" 3200 lock-up conv and took it back to Steve twice both times it was wrong :rolleyes: (it never even fit in my trans correctly) i was refunded my $450 by Steve this was over a year ago ...that 10-11" conv must be new because it wasn't available back then ... i run the Pats 12" 2800 D-5s and have no problems at all :)

I just bought a PTS 9-11 for my GN and put it in 2 weeks ago 3500 w/lock-up and its AWESOME :D no problems no noise no hassle and most of all it FIT :D well worth the $$$ :cool:

Jim

The thing I noticed when shopping for convertors is that you can get almost anyone to build you a high stall 9 or 10" convertor for a 2004r as long as it is a non lock up.
For a performance lock up with a stall over 3200 rpms you have either Precion Industries Vigilante with its 5 disc clutch or PTS/TCS 9x11 with its 11" single lock up clutch. The PTS is quieter and lighter than the Precision AND you dont have to install the restrictor which is required for the PI.
I am not talking the PTS unit up to sell you or anyone else on it.
I just had good luck with mine.
I do hear Pro Torque is coming out with a high stall (over 3200rpms), but the release date has yet to be confirmed.