87 t type big smoke

big reazon

heys guys hows it going Im back in the turbo Buick world after finding what I felt like is a gem 87 t type thats been in a garage for the last 20 years at least. Any ways here the situation the previous owner told me had the thing at 26lbs of boost yet had no scan master or working alky control not even a boost controller or adjustable waste gate. So I get the car blow the head gasket on the way home my faulty I knew to baby it yet didn't. The car has a tube tweak 5.6 chip in it 42.5 lb injectors now he does have a alky chip in the car its not installed the chip in it says street 93 and 20 degrees on it. So after blowing the head gasket I put on a set of ported irons I just got back from the machine shop on the car alone with arp studs and a felpro 9441 head gaskets. I cleaned and welded the small cracks on drivers header. Did the rest of the spring cleaning on the car got a scan master hooked up. fixed a ton of vacuum leave now it smokes at idle and bellows smoke when you give it gas the oil on the dipstick looks clean breathers aren't smoking like when the head gasket was blown. dual breathers and capped pcv to rule that out. where do I go from here I want to enjoy my new purchase for more than the 2 hours I have in the 96 hours owned it lol

blackazz

Not a Gn
What chuck is saying is the seals on the turbo might be bad.cheack an see if your getting oil in the downpipe also look in the throttle body for oil as well.

big reazon

Pull the down pipe off the turbo and see how much oil is there............
ok will check in a shortly the suns just coming up here
What chuck is saying is the seals on the turbo might be bad.cheack an see if your getting oil in the downpipe also look in the throttle body for oil as well.
I understand Ill do some more investigating be back in a few hours with details

Rafs-T-Type

Not so Senior Member
I wonder if the dude pulled his alky kit but left the boost cranked up. Did you not have him hammer it on a test drive?

big reazon

I wonder if the dude pulled his alky kit but left the boost cranked up. Did you not have him hammer it on a test drive?
No so the whole alky kit is still there pulled the line to the up pipe the pump does nothing when I hit the test button. Power injection lights up on my dash I just don't see how he has the boost turned up unless its all done in the chip yet the one installed in the car say 93 street tune 20 degrees. I feel that the pump is a must replace just due to the last time this car was driven was 2010. The car was out of alky and the only place to get it was far away yet this guy ive know for some time just forgot he had the car. So with no adjustable actuator even how would he have the boost up because even with this chip that is not the alky chip I can get a ton a knock retard if I don't ease into the throttle and can't floor it was gonna start with removing some timing as a start and adding fuel.

Last edited:

big reazon

Pull the down pipe off the turbo and see how much oil is there............
well its not oil to my disbelief its water. So Did I pop another gasket already or are my studs not sealing I used "the Right Stuff" on the threads as thats the only rev I use other than the high temp stuff. What do I do as its is definitely water

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
I just don't see how he has the boost turned up unless its all done in the chip yet the one installed in the car say 93 street tune 20 degrees
" I can get a ton a knock retard if I don't ease into the throttle and can't floor it was gonna start with removing some timing as a start and adding fuel".
Sounds like you didn't look far enough after your first gasket job, before you hammered on it again. "Sneaking up" til you got "a ton of knock", IS NOT the way to avoid the same mistakes.
Look at the waste gate rod. Take the "Jesus clip" off of the gate arm, and see if the gate puck is frozen in the housing. A common issue.
If it's an HD actuator, it's not going to allow lower boost. AIC, it starts at about 18 and goes up from there.
Water in the oil?
"yet this guy ive know for some time just forgot he had the car".
The po sounds as tho he needs some mental heath help.;)
Oh ya, an alky pump sitting for over 10 yrs is a big liability.
Good luck!

big reazon

" I can get a ton a knock retard if I don't ease into the throttle and can't floor it was gonna start with removing some timing as a start and adding fuel".
Sounds like you didn't look far enough after your first gasket job, before you hammered on it again. "Sneaking up" til you got "a ton of knock", IS NOT the way to avoid the same mistakes.
Look at the waste gate rod. Take the "Jesus clip" off of the gate arm, and see if the gate puck is frozen in the housing. A common issue.
If it's an HD actuator, it's not going to allow lower boost. AIC, it starts at about 18 and goes up from there.
Water in the oil?
"yet this guy ive know for some time just forgot he had the car".
The po sounds as tho he needs some mental heath help.;)
Oh ya, an alky pump sitting for over 10 yrs is a big liability.
Good luck!
I personally did the head gasket job the car with the mods in my signature was my old car it just didn't have problems like this. Puck not stuck made sure I lubed it even though it moved freely. Hd actuator thats non adjustable? the one on the car isn't adjustable as far as rod length. No water in oil. Previous owner and his wife drive newer ctsv's she has a trailblazer ss , and a 6 speed goat, he has 70 chevelle, 54 chevy 5 window, over vet, 64 impala , a h2 hummer, and a tube chassis nova and a few minis yeah a mental check may be in order now that I think about it lol. Water in down pipe though

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Some time ago, when I considered a set of ported irons, {used}, I got a number of guys that had commented that the used/ported pieces were known for cracking.
I'm wondering if a pressure test would be in order?
For the time being, I think I'd prep the stockers, and use them.

big reazon

Some time ago, when I considered a set of ported irons, {used}, I got a number of guys that had commented that the used/ported pieces were known for cracking.
I'm wondering if a pressure test would be in order?
For the time being, I think I'd prep the stockers, and use them.
crazy thing is my uncle said the same thing the stock heads I had fully rebuilt there just sitting here. I was just wondering could it be the bottom end or anything else the inside of the shortblock was really clean. What tests should I do before I tear this thing back down?

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
I'd run a compression test, and maybe a leak down.
I'd pressurize the cooling system with the plugs out. If the pressure won't hold, bump the starter, and see if there's water coming from the plug holes.
If so, this will help narrow down the location of the leak. Could be the block is split, the head is cracked, or the gasket took a hike, due to the knock.

Pronto

You can't knock them up with spit.
You got yourself a big bag of shit. At this point with you and the po detonating the hell out of the engine, I say just pull the engine and do a real inspection. I bet you find your coolant leak and more.:giggle: Better be ready to open your wallet.

big reazon

You got yourself a big bag of shit. At this point with you and the po detonating the hell out of the engine, I say just pull the engine and do a real inspection. I bet you find your coolant leak and more.:giggle: Better be ready to open your wallet.
po still had it on original head gaskets I blew the gasket on the trip home before the ScanMaster he told me was out of alky so it appears he was running alky on the street chip so ill at least take fault.I hope your wrong on the bag of shit part the cylinders and pistons were really clean still Sean cross hatch in all the cylinders and no knocking from the bottom end. Im really starting to think something is up with these ported heads.

Pronto

You can't knock them up with spit.
Alky chips cut back the fuel as you go into boost. Results are detonation unless you correct the fueling in the chip which it seems the po didn't do. Just b/c he didn't blow the head gaskets doesn't mean he didn't pound the bearings.

big reazon

Alky chips cut back the fuel as you go into boost. Results are detonation unless you correct the fueling in the chip which it seems the po didn't do. Just b/c he didn't blow the head gaskets doesn't mean he didn't pound the bearings.
street chip installed in the car. Don't know how he claims to have the boost so high. non adjustable actuator no manual boost controller I never got over 14lbs yet lifted due to timing retard still has stock vacuum hose and waste gate solenoid. I am wondering if the machine shop just did a visual inspection on these heads vs. magna flux or did I just blow my gasket

big reazon

So heres the update was breaking the car down for inspection pulled the intake looked as if the gasket could have had some seepage and low and behold pushrod not on a lifter. Pulled valve cover corrected pushrod being off fixed pushrod sealed intake back up no smoke runs way smoother darn user fix error. Now to continue tuning the boos was never that high I just put an adjustable regualator on it and so far have got 14 pounds of boost with no timing retard. Gonna Start play with tuning tomorrow on pump gas while I have the alky pump on order.

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Do you have a way to measure fuel pressure and make sure It is rising with the boost? Wide band or at least be watching the svanmaster for those wot pulls.
I'd be just as afraid of an ancient fuel pump as I would be of an old alky pump.