87 Regal neutral safety switch

_Brent_

I've been trying to figure out why I have solid reverse lights on and no rear tail lights at night. After looking at some of the threads I figured there must be an issue with NSS since I had recently replaced the turn signal blinker (located in same general area under the dash). I took a look and found the NSS just dangling (not attached to the column). Anyways, I was able to get the reverse lights to come on by manually moving the switch with the car in R. I was also able to make the lights go out, again by manually moving the switch to a different position. Oh yeah, was also able to get the parking lights on too. So I'm figuring the NSS switch must be good.

The problem is since I didn't remove the NSS (well at least not knowingly), I have no idea how it attaches to the column and how to align the switch with whatever actuator the operates the switch. It would help if someone had pictures or video of the switch installed on the column. I've looked around on this forum and Youtube with no luck.

Hey does anyone no if u can still install a heated o2 sensor with harness even though you don't have a egr selinoid ?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hey newbie, you might want to create a new post for your O2 problem. Folks will look at my original post of NSS problem and won't really be looking for an O2 problem. Besides, you're sort of hijacking my original post. :)

Are you having problems starting your car, or do you just move the switch around until the starter engages?
I think it just snaps onto the lower column. Look around the bottom for an oblong hole. The older cars used
screws to attach it.

No, not having problems starting the car. I actually runs/starts very well. My only issues are the rear parking lights (night-time driving) and reverse lights. I will look for the cutout but I have to say that is a very tight area to check.

The P/N safety is a mechanical interlock within the column. The switch in question operates the back up lights and lets the ECM know if the shifter is in P/N or a gear. This is mostly for idle control via the ECM.

The tail lights are a separate issue from this switch. There is a 20A TAIL LP fuse. The wire to the back of the car originates in the connector on the left of the fuse block. Pin F, TAN/BRN.

It travels in the wiring conduit to the left rear corner of the trunk. Where there is another connector to connect it to the tail light wiring harness.

Now for the P/N/BackUp light switch. It is a royal PITA to get it back into place. In the slot at the top side of the column is a tab that moves and operates the switch. Need to line that up with the opening in the switch then clip it back into place. Usually takes me a good 20-minutes of f'ing with it before it will suddenly just drop into place.

The upper plastic piece is then moved side to side to adjust the location for the back up lights (when in reverse) and the P/N signal to the ECM. Note that you might want to open up and clean the switch first. Over time the grease gets hard and caked and the switch becomes intermittent.

I could see the P/N, 1/2 indication flicker back and forth on the What's Up Display (WUD). Plus the back up lights didn't work at all. However, that was tracked down to not having light bulbs in the sockets :confused:

Some pictures, this is looking at the switch from the passenger side:

GN_PN-SW_1.JPG

From the bottom of the column:

GN_PN-SW_2.JPG

And from the bottom/side of the column:

GN_PN-SW_3.JPG

RemoveBeforeFlight

WOW, I didn't expect this kind of response ! Awesome, I almost feel like I should be paying for this info. This is a great tip. Let me know if you need something from Hawaii, calender, Kona coffee, etc.

WOW, I didn't expect this kind of response ! Awesome, I almost feel like I should be paying for this info. This is a great tip. Let me know if you need something from Hawaii, calender, Kona coffee, etc.

Just send him a plane ticket....Im sure he will call it even...LOL

Bryan

The P/N safety is a mechanical interlock within the column. The switch in question operates the back up lights and lets the ECM know if the shifter is in P/N or a gear. This is mostly for idle control via the ECM.

The tail lights are a separate issue from this switch. There is a 20A TAIL LP fuse. The wire to the back of the car originates in the connector on the left of the fuse block. Pin F, TAN/BRN.

It travels in the wiring conduit to the left rear corner of the trunk. Where there is another connector to connect it to the tail light wiring harness.

Now for the P/N/BackUp light switch. It is a royal PITA to get it back into place. In the slot at the top side of the column is a tab that moves and operates the switch. Need to line that up with the opening in the switch then clip it back into place. Usually takes me a good 20-minutes of f'ing with it before it will suddenly just drop into place.

The upper plastic piece is then moved side to side to adjust the location for the back up lights (when in reverse) and the P/N signal to the ECM. Note that you might want to open up and clean the switch first. Over time the grease gets hard and caked and the switch becomes intermittent.

I could see the P/N, 1/2 indication flicker back and forth on the What's Up Display (WUD). Plus the back up lights didn't work at all. However, that was tracked down to not having light bulbs in the sockets :confused:

View attachment 198506

View attachment 198507

View attachment 198508

RemoveBeforeFlight

I finally got enough time to replace the switch. Geez, you were not kidding when you said 20 minutes, more like an hour on two different occasions, with lots of bright flashlights. That is a son of gun. One thing though, I got lucky with the install and didn't have to make any adjustments once I got the switch installed. Thanks again. And it did take care of my original problem.

100_2914 (1).JPG

DSCN0010 (1).JPG

DSCN0342 (1).JPG

RemoveBeforeFlight