87 GN what's mine worth in this condition?

JDDaily77

I've actually been around awhile here, my password isn't logging though! I'm not sure if this is the section for this, so I apologize if it's not! Anyway I am going to have to sell my 87 Grand National because of a long term illness and I couldn't drive or take good enough care of it. It is basically in really great condition mechanically, extremely clean underneath, etc. it just has paint issues. It's mainly stock with just some cosmetic addons, new chip, bigger air intake. The paint wasn't great when I got it and I intended to had it painted, but wasn't able to. The car cover I had, which was a really good one, supposedly had UV protection, but it didn't so the clear coat and paint on the roof behind the t-tops is toast. I just wanted to see what people thought it was worth with just needing to be repainted. In the pic, other than the peeling paint, the rest is dust because until I pull it out into the driveway (it's on a side driveway) my hose doesn't reach! I was thinking $10-12k, but I wanted to make sure whether or not it's worth a little more because I saw one on ebay in similar condition, with the bumpers missing for $15k.

gbBapVo.jpg

TurboTGuy

Gray Beard Member
Donations
$100.00
May be worth a li'l more. These cars are going for good money these days.

More pics and info on mileage, what's been done to it (and hasn't lately) would be helpful.

Ronbo14

The lower the mileage & closer to stock condition will bring in more money. Dennis Kirban from Kirban Performance sold a customers’ car a couple months ago with approximately 27,000 miles for 39k. It was close to stock condition.

Buckshot G/N

Donations
$50.00
I sense you really don't want to part with car with just showing one photo?. You heard the old saying ( I'll sell anything if the price is right) Well ask for double what you are expecting, and in the meantime get your health in order. Good Luck.

87GN Turbo6

Banned
I sense you really don't want to part with car with just showing one photo?. You heard the old saying ( I'll sell anything if the price is right) Well ask for double what you are expecting, and in the meantime get your health in order. Good Luck.
Yep, everything I have is for sale. Potential buyer just has to convince me ($$$$$) to sell it.

87GN Turbo6

Banned
Ass backwards..........You must convince the buyer to buy it.
As it is now, I see no reason for a prospective buyer to get involved.
I have people all the time ask me if my GN is for sale. I tell them everything is for sale, convince me to sell it! I did have one guy come close to a number that would have convicnced me. Happy to still have my GN. I don't have to convince anyone!

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Donations
$50.00
I have people all the time ask me if my GN is for sale. I tell them everything is for sale, convince me to sell it! I did have one guy come close to a number that would have convicnced me. Happy to still have my GN. I don't have to convince anyone!
That'll work, along with the poor quality ad......

JDDaily77

Well if I could afford to paint it right now I wouldn't. I just posted that one pic because other than a few dings it's in good condition and I think everyone knows what the car looks like but I can get some more pics once it's washed. It has 142,100 miles. As of right now my cousin wants to buy it, so I have a buyer I just want to see if I'm too low or not. He will get a family discount, but I'm not giving it away! I'll try to get some more pics in the next week when I have time.

TurboTGuy

Gray Beard Member
Donations
$100.00
Lots of folks will ask, but do they have the scratch to make it happen? Even the guy who "came close"?

Most times, NOPE.

POWER_SIX

Banned
Just a general question.... I know 86s and 87 GNs are the same car, but if both cars are same condition and mileage, is there a perception that one is worth more than the other? Is having an 86 in any way a disadvantage in selling it?

TurboTGuy

Gray Beard Member
Donations
$100.00
Just a general question.... I know 86s and 87 GNs are the same car, but if both cars are same condition and mileage, is there a perception that one is worth more than the other? Is having an 86 in any way a disadvantage in selling it?

I would think it would depend mostly on the buyer's preference.

They only made some 2600 '86 models, so that's a rarer example. They made around, I think, 27000 '87 models. Then there's the GNX.....

And then you get into the options and things change. Some of these cars were optioned with everything you could think of. Others, like mine, were strippers with very few options, mine's an '87 Turbo Regal, not a GN. Most were made with just the very popular options. It was crazy what you could order these cars with back then.

Last edited:

POWER_SIX

Banned
I would think it would depend mostly on the buyer's preference.

They only made some 2600 '86 models, so that's a rarer example. They made around, I think, 27000 '87 models. Then there's the GNX.....

And then you get into the options and things change. Some of these cars were optioned with everything you could think of. Others, like mine, were strippers with very few options, mine's an '87 Turbo Regal, not a GN. Most were made with just the very popular options. It was crazy what you could order these cars with back then.
Well, for me, it wouldn't make any difference. I have an 86 T and an 87 GN. I remember some guy years back stating he would only purchase an 87. 87s of course, as you pointed out, are much more plentiful, and I wonder if it would be any more difficult to sell an 86 than an 87, just because it's an 86.

#1HotRod

I'd say the '87 much preferred. Yep, little difference between '86 & '87 (in the front grill, door pull straps, & 10 more HP). Like most cars it's the aura, perception that counts. The '87 is iconic & viewed as the epitome (more so with the GNX) of GN's & post-70's hottest car. History is full of great cars that now are little known & undervalued (usually because not many were produced) vs. hordes of cheaply built cars that are far more popular & worth much more. Ex., the 1965 Mustang was cheap plebian transportation for $2,500, now commonly worth +$25k...due to many sold (thus more folks are nostalgic about it, better known), etc., whereas a 1965 Skylark (a much "better" car) worth half of that. Yep, put identical '86 & '87 GN's on the block & '87 will sell faster & for more. Humm, then for practically reasons a '86 is a better buy, unless for investment purposes.
Not pretending to be an expert, JMO.

dgoodhue

Using Hagerty's price guide, 87 GN (20,193 production) are valued more than the 86 GN (5,512) across the board. For #1 condition $57k vs $53.8k, #2 $42k vs $35.7K #3 $28.9K vs $22.2k #4 $19.8k vs $15.5k. The gap between 86 and 87 has only gotten wider as time has gone by. Production numbers aren't everything, it is all about demand. I guarantee that there are less 87 Limited Turbo's (1035) remaining in collector condition then GNX (547) but the value of those is drastically different. The book value of the Limited isn't any where close to the 86 or 87 GN either.

TurboTGuy

Gray Beard Member
Donations
$100.00
Stock vs Modified is big determinate, also.

Big time. Either year.

I loved my '86. I'd still own it if it hadn't been stolen in '96..... :mad:

Remove Ads From TurboBuick.Com

Yearly amount needed to remove ads from TurboBuick.Com
Goal
$12,000.00
Received
$2,246.00