'87 GN - Water Pump & Tune up?

BuickGN29

Greetings fellow Cali board members,

I own a pretty much stock '87 GN w/ 180K original miles. It's a daily driver with only a K. Bell cold air kit and an A. Carr valve body kit for it's tranny.

I'm in need of a new water pump. Does anyone suggest a particular after market pump or will a stock GM pump do the job?

I'm also going to replace the valve cover gaskets. Any suggestions on these particular gaskets? (stock valve covers)

Plugs and wires? Any help on these aswell are appreciated.

Lou and others, please help a fellow board member out. :smile:

if you can get an original gm water pump, I would run that. If you've not replaced yours in 180k, I would presume them to be ok:eek:
If you are replacing wires, you can get a pre-made set of msd's, great wires. only use ac r43 plugs. gap accordingly.

if you can find cork valve cover gaskets, use those. They conform to the cast iron imperfections around the heads. If not, find some felpro with the wirelock in them. I'm sure somebody will have the part number here.

if you cant get a gm waterpump, try napa. I have a waterpump from napa, I think it was their signature series. Seems like a really good water pump. Have fun.:cool:

if you can get an original gm water pump, I would run that. If you've not replaced yours in 180k, I would presume them to be ok:eek:
If you are replacing wires, you can get a pre-made set of msd's, great wires. only use ac r43 plugs. gap accordingly.

if you can find cork valve cover gaskets, use those. They conform to the cast iron imperfections around the heads. If not, find some felpro with the wirelock in them. I'm sure somebody will have the part number here.

if you cant get a gm waterpump, try napa. I have a waterpump from napa, I think it was their signature series. Seems like a really good water pump. Have fun.:cool:

Outstanding. Thank you, TURBOELKY..your info is much appreciated.

Do you happen to know if the msd plug wires can be purchased online? If so, do you happen to know the/a web addy?

Thanks, again. :)

MSD plug wires (black) come from either Russ Merritt, (look for him under user name Russ Merritt on this forum) of RJC Racing, under supporting suppliers. Both are on-line suppliers. Best wires for our cars, not cheap, but the best & nicest looking.

Both Gary & turbo elky are correct.If you feel rich invest in a good set of plug wires but I have to say that a set of stock Delco wires will get the job done as well as anything else. Water pumps typically aren't much of a problem but should be changed just for GP on high mile cars. I haven't any preference regarding that.Cork gaskets also work the best.With 180 k I would seriously consider a timing chain & new crank sensor, fuel pump & when is the last time the f/ filter has been changed.Careful installing the new one, requires some patience & fittings are easily stripped. don't force them on . Make sure they are started by hand first. How about a new coil pack if your not broke by then. A bottle of injector cleaner added in the gas tank occasionally wouldn't hurt either. Check waste gate & boost hoses while your at it also. Servicing & flushing the intercooler while its off with some acetone,solvent or denatured alcohol is recommended. Cleaning the MAF with some contact cleaner only also a good idea. If cleaning air filter do not over oil, Not good for heated element in MAF & could damage it. Now turn off your damn computer stop bothering us & get to work !

Both Gary & turbo elky are correct.If you feel rich invest in a good set of plug wires but I have to say that a set of stock Delco wires will get the job done as well as anything else. Water pumps typically aren't much of a problem but should be changed just for GP on high mile cars. I haven't any preference regarding that.Cork gaskets also work the best.With 180 k I would seriously consider a timing chain & new crank sensor, fuel pump & when is the last time the f/ filter has been changed.Careful installing the new one, requires some patience & fittings are easily stripped. don't force them on . Make sure they are started by hand first. How about a new coil pack if your not broke by then. A bottle of injector cleaner added in the gas tank occasionally wouldn't hurt either. Check waste gate & boost hoses while your at it also. Servicing & flushing the intercooler while its off with some acetone,solvent or denatured alcohol is recommended. Cleaning the MAF with some contact cleaner only also a good idea. If cleaning air filter do not over oil, Not good for heated element in MAF & could damage it. Now turn off your damn computer stop bothering us & get to work !

Lou, I think you forgot about the kitchen sink...want him to clean that too? :D

MSD plug wires (black) come from either Russ Merritt, (look for him under user name Russ Merritt on this forum) of RJC Racing, under supporting suppliers. Both are on-line suppliers. Best wires for our cars, not cheap, but the best & nicest looking.

Excellent. Thank you, Gary.

:eek:

Wow, I've got several things to keep me busy now. Thank you very much, Lou..your input is appreciated.

just take it to Lou, and let him bust his knuckles!:tongue:

hg

OH, that is the worst! but not as bad as changing head gaskets with engine in car, and still has a/c, and head studs!!!:biggrin:

tell me about it last time i changed my head gaskets i felt like lighting up the car on fire with you know who in it and calling it a day.

tell me about it last time i changed my head gaskets i felt like lighting up the car on fire with you know who in it and calling it a day.

I rate changing head gaskets in the car right up there with a root canal. The later studs do have an Allen head feature that makes it a lot easier. But still not fun.

While your in there dont forget to check the dreaded muffler bearing, those go out right about 160k miles, i check that too and replace it if neccesary..:D