87 Gn stock cooling fan replacement

Onalky87

What if any cars from the Junkyard have the same fan and harness as an 87 grand national? mine seized up and don't have the money for a dual setup at this time

Pontiac Fiero.

They are somewhat plentiful and inexpensive used, post a WTB thread, you may be surprised.

I used one out of a '92 lesabre for a while till I got a G/N one from a member
here. The plug in worked but I had to use wire ties to mount it. :)

Is the fan from a fiero exactly the same? Same plug and mounting locations etc etc?
I think the connector is different. The Fiero uses a square connector and it mounts in a slightly different location. I just transfer the wires from my old fan. I don't remember which year/motor the correct fan for our cars comes on. A lot of Fiero's use the standard small round motor.

The V-6 Fiero is exactly the same shroud and connector everything , direct bolt on . The 4 cylinder Fiero has less blades.

I have a stock elec fan from my GN that I upgraded to dual, pay shipping and you can have it, if it helps you out. Shipping from Vegas to you. It was working great three weeks ago prior to the upgrade, should work just fine for ya!!

I have a stock elec fan from my GN that I upgraded to dual, pay shipping and you can have it, if it helps you out. Shipping from Vegas to you. It was working great three weeks ago prior to the upgrade, should work just fine for ya!!
I'll take it I'm in ca 94590

Let me work on shipping to your location and I will let you know shortly. Im thinking about 50-60 dollars.

If anyone is looking for a great upgrade to a dual unit I just installed a dual set off of a mid 90's Audi R6. I got them from the local scrap yard for about 20 bucks. Basically the fans slid right in and the upper radiator bracket pinches the unit in so it cant move very much at all. It uses a fraction of power that the OEM unit uses even when both fans are running. The temp went from 171 back to 161 in about 20 seconds. I just had to splice the wires with the OEM harness and reconnected it.

Sure can. If they arent too large to be posted.
2015-04-04_18-49-41_86.jpg
2015-04-05_20-48-46_483.jpg

One thing I noticed with these fans is that they draw ALOT of power. So much power that the OEM plug actually started melting because the stock ground is not big enough to support them. I upgraded the ground to heavier wire and havent had an issue thus far.

I picked up a dual fan set up out of a 07 Dodge Stratus perfect size,covers a lot of area 20 bucks at salvage yard however to get it of you have to remove the intake I used a wood saw on the plastic intake .It pissed of the guy at the yard but hey sh.. happens . I will try ti incorporate the factory mounts

Attachments

• 20161031_174635.jpg
    20161031_174635.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 259
Well . I got the fans mounted up (from 07 Dodge Stratus ) . lets say not as easy as it could be .I had to take the intercooler scoop off to get the intercooler back in ( I ordered a fiberglass scoop from Kirban's as mine was worn out ) but it looks like I will have to take the front sway bar off to get the intercooler shroud back on . other then that it looks good and works well ..I pulled radiator to install on fan with zip clips .and had to wedge it back in by moving the AC lines a little bit . I would have taken them off but I recently recharged it with R12 , and aint about to loose that stuff .
gn fan.jpg

Attachments

• gn fan 2.jpg
    gn fan 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 189
One thing I noticed with these fans is that they draw ALOT of power. So much power that the OEM plug actually started melting because the stock ground is not big enough to support them. I upgraded the ground to heavier wire and havent had an issue thus far.

I removed these from my car. I took them off because of a large voltage draw on my electrical system. I had a set of LS1 fans laying around that I was going to install on my Trailblazer SS (traded for a Tahoe) but never did. I used the wiring harness that I had purchased for the install on the TBSS. Now It draws about .02-.05 volts with both fans running.