NEW ac compressor??

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Reviving.

I'm on my fifth new replacement compressor in five years. They all get just past the warranty, then spring a case leak. I've tried Delco, Murray and 4Seasons in that mix. I'm suspicious they're all the exact same compressor from the same factory that keeps screwing them up.

Has anybody retrofitted a modern compressor?

Have you tried the one from highway stars. I know of two that have yrs on them in the Texas heat.

Have you tried the one from highway stars. I know of two that have yrs on them in the Texas heat.
Not yet.
But the entire design of those old radial compressors is flawed. They eventually will all fail. Either at the shaft seal or the case seal. Was hoping somebody had used a newer one. Murray as a part number that appears to be a new design:

Same unit available from RockAuto here:

RockAuto doesn't have it crossed to our cars. Looks like it has correct mount ears and clutch connection adapter on it, and the manifold connection "looks" correct, but depth and header interference is a concern Was hoping somebody here might have already tried it before I plunked down the money.

Not yet.
But the entire design of those old radial compressors is flawed. They eventually will all fail. Either at the shaft seal or the case seal. Was hoping somebody had used a newer one. Murray as a part number that appears to be a new design:

RockAuto doesn't have it crossed to our cars. Looks like it has correct mount ears and clutch connection adapter on it, and the manifold connection "looks" correct, but depth and header interference is a concern Was hoping somebody here might have already tried it before I plunked down the money.

I just installed the Highways Stars one 3 weeks ago and it fit perfect. For an extra $37 why not go with something that's going to fit and if you have any questions you can actually talk to a human being. Plus you're supporting a great vendor.

I just installed the Highways Stars one 3 weeks ago and it fit perfect. For an extra $37 why not go with something that's going to fit and if you have any questions you can actually talk to a human being. Plus you're supporting a great vendor.
AC Delco compressor (from Highway Stars) here, works great & been 6 or 7 years running strong ! 👍

Highway stars again. Bought compressor, switches, dryer, & valve from them. Plus they sent me an email in regards to the correct seals to us & how to correctly install the seals.

Got a Spectra condenser, charged it up with 134a & blows 30ish degrees.

Not yet.

Ok, for the record and saved here for posterity:

The HR6 style compressor WILL NOT fit with the stock A/C bracket, and even if you trimmed the bracket somehow without it cracking on you, it will hit the header. It does have the correct pulley, ports for the stock lines, and the right socket for the clutch connection, but it just won't go in the hole.