87 GN info needed!

Rustyrodder

needs a GN
After reading a certain story with a GN in it, my interest in these cars was rekindled. Ill have the money for a decent one after i sell my mustang. anyway, theres a 87 GN for sale in the next town from me. The ad says its got new paint, new interior, 100k. the price isnt bad either. So can you all tell me what you know about these. whats the difference for all the years, what came on the GN's, stock performance, etc. This will be my summertime DD when im home from school, so even mpg would be appreciated. thanks!

They were rated at 17/24 mpg (86/87) from the factory but most of us get 15/20 if we're lucky. Get a chip for it if it doesn't have one already and run the highest octane you can. 84/85 are the hot-air years, ie no intercooler. 86/87 are more desirable because of the intercooler and higher power.

If its stock and in good shape keep your foot out of it for decent mileage... if its a goal you can tune for more. Modded cars can do ok too, but nobody drives well enough at that point for mileage concerns. heh.

Go look at a few in person if possible before buying, maybe network with the local (to you) Buick guys.

Gas mileage isnt my goal. If it was, i would still be driving a honda:mad: . I just need something that i can get around 20mpg average so i have some money for a mod every now and then. And exactly how fast are these form the factory? Im going to guess they were underrated on paper

Gas mileage isnt my goal. If it was, i would still be driving a honda:mad: . I just need something that i can get around 20mpg average so i have some money for a mod every now and then. And exactly how fast are these form the factory? Im going to guess they were underrated on paper

14.0's @ 98-99 mph in good tune for a factory untouched stocker. 20+ mpg should be reasonable if the motor is mechanically solid and in good tune. Brian

hell, tahts 2 seconds faster then the stang right off the bat. They want 7900 for it as it sits, i have yet to see it though. assuming its in good shape, and i get it for 7k, put $500 in minor repairs(Ive learned from other purchases), ill have about 1500 left. what would be good to buy for it with this much?

hell, tahts 2 seconds faster then the stang right off the bat. They want 7900 for it as it sits, i have yet to see it though. assuming its in good shape, and i get it for 7k, put $500 in minor repairs(Ive learned from other purchases), ill have about 1500 left. what would be good to buy for it with this much?

Scantool
fuel pump
Razor's alky kit
Injectors with turbotweak alky chip
Sticky Tires

Should be able to go mid 12's fairly easily with that.....take it slow... learn how to tune it...

HTH

Go here and read for days about different aspects of these cars, what to look for, buyers guide, etc..its all there...go to the "Resources" drop down on the right. Also performance recipes, maintenance, how to guides, and tons more..
Turbo Regal Web Site

wow, thanks!

but here what i can get form the ad about the car: 1987 GN, new paint, new interior, 100k, with basic wear on the engine/trans. they want 7900, but what would you expect to pay just reading that?

wow, thanks!

but here what i can get form the ad about the car: 1987 GN, new paint, new interior, 100k, with basic wear on the engine/trans. they want 7900, but what would you expect to pay just reading that?

IMHO.....It is mpossible to guess without seeing and driving the car.... $7900 seems reasonable.... but if it is ragged out.... $7900 is too high... if it is real clean... even at 100k miles... it could be worth $10k or more. Any rust obviously will make the value go down considerably as well.

IMHO.....It is mpossible to guess without seeing and driving the car.... $7900 seems reasonable.... but if it is ragged out.... $7900 is too high... if it is real clean... even at 100k miles... it could be worth $10k or more. Any rust obviously will make the value go down considerably as well.

Yep, without seeing it there's no way to gauge it. My truck has 170k miles on it, but I've seen cars with 50k miles and newer in worse shape.

where are the most common places to find rust on these?:confused: . and will the magnet check work like it did for our other car?

also, is there anyone that anybody knows on the site that knows their GNs that could look at the car?

where are the most common places to find rust on these?:confused: . and will the magnet check work like it did for our other car?

You guys up north will know better than me..... but I believe in the bottom of the doors... in the trunk.... around the wheel wells.... it shows up there pretty quick...... fresh paint can cover all that up if it was done right..... but the rust is sure to show back up .... probably sooner than later.....

also, is there anyone that anybody knows on the site that knows their GNs that could look at the car?

Where are you located? Where is the car? Like mentioned, doors and trunk are the common rust areas----a magnet should help you out there. Ask questions, the owner might just tell you what shape the car was in prior to paint. Brian

I'm a few hours North of you, in Plattsburgh. Hopefully some guys in the Albany area will chime in. Brian

thanks, i jsut put a post in the regional. are there any other problomatic ares that i should know?
And also, whats a good combination to get it into the low 13's-high 12's with these?
one more thing- is alky injection really worth it? where could i refill it, and what else should i get with this so i could turn up the boost a little?

and people still think im crazy thinking about trading down 15 years:rolleyes:

thanks, i jsut put a post in the regional. are there any other problomatic ares that i should know?
And also, whats a good combination to get it into the low 13's-high 12's with these?
one more thing- is alky injection really worth it? where could i refill it, and what else should i get with this so i could turn up the boost a little?

and people still think im crazy thinking about trading down 15 years:rolleyes:

Is alky worth it? There is no single mod that will make more power on pump gas than alky.... PERIOD!

This will be the catalyst to take an otherwise stock car into the 12's on pump gas.

Without alky... you can run about 14 psi .... with it.... you can work your way up with tuning to 21-22 or so with the stock turbo...... yes ther is a MAJOR difference from 14 to 22 psi. It is like you strapped big block under the hood.