87 GN Fuse Block question

slipstick

I have been advised by Autometer to connect power to my electric fuel pressure gauge from a connection that has no power during start (cranking) mode. Can someone tell me which (or if any) of the ign 1 or ign 3 connections (other potential connection) in the fuse block will be unpowered during cranking. Thanks for any and all advice.

For many, many years we have had GN's with power/voltage to the fuel pump during cranking and it has worked out well with no issues.

I would have questioned the rep why this is necessary with their pump?

Maybe newer vehicles with very complex wiring circuits need this, but I want my fuel pump running when cranking.

If you get an answer why Aeromotive recommends this, I would sure like to know, and others also would too!

Nick I believe he is saying he is talking about an Autometer Fuel Pressure gauge not the fuel pump. Mine has voltage during cranking and works perfectly. I had a buddy that had a chevelle and relocated the battery to the trunk. The gauge acted stupid when using a power source that had power during crann and when changing to a circuit that did not have power while cranking the problem went away. I believe I measured like 8vdc on the circuit during crank but I cant remember. Regardless, when the power source was changed to no power in crank the problem went away. I speculate the low voltage does something to the gauge / startup and glitches it. But I have no factual evidence to support the claim.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

The IGN-1 taps are hot during cranking. The yellow wire going to the radio is one choice, it is cold during cranking. It is also hot in the accessory position (if that matters).

Ah, it looks like the IGN-3 tap is only hot in run. This is the one between the wiper and stop/haz fuses. It is run from the 25A A/C fuse.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I'm doing a boost gauge (and later fuel pressure gauge) install and this is helpful. I'll use IGN-3 and an add-a-circuit to run power to the gauge...any suggestions on what fuse I should add? I've read 3A - 5A would be good.