86 Grand National, How much power with my mods?

86BuickGN

I have a 86 GN that I've been rebuilding over the last year or so. Almost ready to be on the road again, should be in next couple of weeks. I will post pics when it is finished also. I bought the car for $3,000 in 2006 in pieces, motor out & in pieces also. Nothing marked where it went or anything. In other words I bought a giant puzzle. LOL The car has a stock block & crank, Eagle rods, & JE pistons. Comp cam. stock heads, intake ,& TB. PTE 6262 turbo, & PTE stock location intercooler. TR custom parts Big mouth cold air kit, with K&N filter. TA perf. headers, Southeast Turbo 3" downpipe, & RJC racing 3" exhaust. Turbo Tweak chip & 42lb injectors. 18lbs of boost. Will be running 93 octane also. Stock trans with shift kit, & PTC 10" converter. Stock rearend with Auburn posi & 3.42 gears. Koni shocks, & Eibac lowering springs. Does anyone have any idea what kind of power I will be making.

300? Surely more than that

Why would you expect much more? You did say 93 octane and 18# of boost, right??

Last year I detuned my 86 from racing trim to street trim and recently was able to make several runs on Richard Clarks dyno. On straight 93 octane, and 20# of boost I was able to eek out 300 HP to the wheels.

Our cars aren't a lot different. You've got a bigger turbo than I, but I've got bigger injectors and a CAS front mount (which allows me to run higher boost levels).

Why would you expect much more? You did say 93 octane and 18# of boost, right??

Last year I detuned my 86 from racing trim to street trim and recently was able to make several runs on Richard Clarks dyno. On straight 93 octane, and 20# of boost I was able to eek out 300 HP to the wheels.

Our cars aren't a lot different. You've got a bigger turbo than I, but I've got bigger injectors and a CAS front mount (which allows me to run higher boost levels).

What would it take for me to make 400rwhp? Again the heads, intake, Tb, & Mass are all stock pieces. Thanks

While Alky is a great bang for the buck, just because you throw more boost at the engine doesn't mean you're gaining efficient power.

The power potential in ALL engines is in the heads. You want big power without big boost, get better heads. Simple as that. But better heads never come cheap.

What would it take to get me to 400rwhp? Thanks

400HP to the wheels?? Boost and timing, and a lots of each. That's what mine was making in race trim. That took 27# of boost, 26deg of timing, on race gas, but I'm running a larger MAF and 62mm throttle boady, but a smaller 44 turbo. I would never attempt those kinds of numbers on alky.

Stock longblock with 6262@21psi and 9.5" ptc made 365whp in good air. It would have needed 25psi to touch 400whp

Get with Julio at alkycontrol.com for the right kit. I have to be making over 400rwhp to go 120mph in the quarter at my heavy street weight. I'm pushing 25+psi on a te44 to do it on stock heads with light 75lb ta replacement springs. I do have a mild ft cam and port matched intake to heads but otherwise everything is stock in my longblock. I don't worry about my bottom end as long as the tune stays good. 19/17 timing.

highboostgn said:
Yeah..now im going to a 400 so hopefully i wont have to worry about it for a while.

I just can't give up my overdrive. A properly built 200 is good to north of 700rwhp pretty reliably. I have 200 plus passes and 40k miles on mine over the last 4 years that I've had it built.

I just can't give up my overdrive. A properly built 200 is good to north of 700rwhp pretty reliably. I have 200 plus passes and 40k miles on mine over the last 4 years that I've had it built.
i thought about it and realized i never take mine on the highway anyway..I mainly just cruise up and down the strip at 40mph, and to the track every now and then..and if i do get on it above 60 or 70 then im getting on it or racing.

Just curious,are you chasing a number or just trying to find more??I never got caught up in the dyno #s game.These cars don't make big #s but run good at the track.They put the power to the ground gradually and thats what makes them such a killer street car:D

Kevin