86-87 crank sensor

hot air 84GN

I updated my hot air crank sensor with an 86-87 sensor with the correct new wiring adapter. I replaced the sensor due to a lack in spark somewhere. It would run fine for about 30 minutes and suddenly lose spark and stall. With no restart untill cold. I replaced coil/module and fuel pressure is confirmed with a gauge.I have re adjusted my gap 3 times now and still cannot get the car to idle and drive smoothly. The interrupter ring that passes through the vane on the sensor has not touched or rubbed. I have taken it off and checked. I used .025 gap with a business card on both sides and with feeler gauges. Still the same result. Starts right up and sounds good until I go for a drive. Its missing and chugging when I accelerate. Has anyone else had problems with this? I'm about to go back to the 84-85 sensor and wiring to see if it gets any better!? Thanks

I know this is an old thread & I see that nobody responded. Just wondering if you got the 86/87 crank sensor (and assuming the Casper's 84/85 Crank Sensor Adapter) worked out or are you running with the 84/85 crank sensor now? I was thinking I would do the conversion, but if it's causing problems then I won't.

I know this is an old thread & I see that nobody responded. Just wondering if you got the 86/87 crank sensor (and assuming the Casper's 84/85 Crank Sensor Adapter) worked out or are you running with the 84/85 crank sensor now? I was thinking I would do the conversion, but if it's causing problems then I won't.
I did do the conversion but that wasn’t my problem. I was using Casper’s wiring and adapter to run an updated 87-87 coil/control module with 86-87 Ecu computer. I did this because it’s way easier to tune with the 86-87 Ecu and parts are limited with the 84-85. I’m not positive about your situation, but the Casper’s adapter was getting old and had a short in one of the wires.
TurbobuRick a member on here diagnosed and basically fixed my problem over this forum. The man is a genius with these cars. Not sure if your are running aftermarket adapters or Casper’s wiring but you may want to update or wiggle wires while running. Clean contacts. Plug and unplug connections and perhaps clean them. That’s what he instructed me to do and I found my stalling problem. I got a new adapter from Casper’s and never had trouble since.

I'm not having any crank issues, but just wanted to get your take since your original post went unanswered. Thanks for the follow up! These 84/85 crank sensors are $$$$$$$ & hard to find + I do have a new OEM as a backup. My thought was to do the conversion when or if I do have an issue in the future since I've done the 86/87 ECM (see my signature). I struggled to keep my hot air bone stock its entire life. Just this last couple years I have been pulling the OEM stuff off and doing the 86/87 upgrades. The car does run much better with more power.