85 GN intercooled value

fast NY Six

I hate to ask about a value of a car but.. A local guy put together an 85 GN roller with an intercooled drivetrain. And he has finally realized these cars require more attention than the sbc that he is used to. Newer paint job, posi, ttop, interior is kinda rough. I helped him get the car running after the transplant. But he didn't listen to me when I said you need a scanmaster and boost gauge and don't hammer on it until then. He detonated it and blew head gasket. He replaced the head gasket and it runs but something still isn't right. He offered to me first before it hits craigslist. He was thinking 10k. I was thinking 5k. thanks

If it ain't right why would you give top dollar?
Sounds like a beater that needs a set of bearings after the blown gasket debacle.
Rear $500 Maybe sell for $1000 after wrestling it out from under the car
Trans $350 Might bring $500 also after wrestling it out
Body as roller $700 But now it isnt a roller as you sold the rear so you need a 7.5 so the car can roll
Hassle selling it as a part out priceless
It is a $3500 car at best unless you just have a lot of free time and a couple($4-5K) grand to put in, then you have a $7500 car that is still over thirty yrs old and a limited buyer pool. Don't walk, run from that one even at five k is is a looser.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. Also I really don't need another vehicle. He's a real nice guy that became a friend because of these cars, so I feel bad throwing a low ball offer, even though I want to. I don't know how to approach this one. I told him to throw on craigslist for a while, and maybe after winter and its still not sold we can work something out. I wont part it out. Neither will he. Maybe I'll post it for sale on here, he's not a member. I would like a t top though, I don't have one of those. :)

It sounds like a huge can of worms to me. I'd pass unless it's so cheap you can part out out the car for what you pay for it. At that point you'd be safe.

Neal

Condition is everything here. What's it worth if it ran perfect? Take that number and subtract the cost of the engine. Part out value doesn't apply. Jesus people when are we going to stop parting out gns?

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. Also I really don't need another vehicle. He's a real nice guy that became a friend because of these cars, so I feel bad throwing a low ball offer, even though I want to. I don't know how to approach this one. I told him to throw on craigslist for a while, and maybe after winter and its still not sold we can work something out. I wont part it out. Neither will he. Maybe I'll post it for sale on here, he's not a member. I would like a t top though, I don't have one of those. :)

Have him come on here and read the comments! That way, he can see for himself what he’s got. It’s hard enough to find the right buyer for one of our cars (when’s it’s bone stock and perfect). But, that much more difficult whenever you add in, any sort of wrinkle whatsoever. And it sounds like this one has a quite a few. Which is why the consensus is what it is regarding his car. I mean, no offense, but, what he’s got is a very serious can of worms here. And as stated even if it were running perfectly it’s still only $7,500 (at best), assuming the body is in good shape with no major rust or dents. Projects are always going to be a losing proposition around here.

Have him look at the guy’s T ad in cars for sales section from north or South Carolina who has done frame off, repaired the body, detailed the frame, rebuilt the motor, I think the trans is built, redone the brakes, and the car is yard drive able and he has added all kinds of quality parts and he only wants like $5,200, maybe? And everything is Fresh / Brand New on it, as it only needs paint and finishing up the interior and whatever else is left? But, I’d remind him, that’s a fresh built car (pics and documentation) that would be a great start, or platform for a quality built car with not all that much left to be done. Not trying to be rude, however, it happens a lot when you have a project, as he honestly doesn’t have as much as he thinks he does.

Good luck! Hopefully he’ll see the light and let you save it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I read that thread, I can't believe that car hasn't sold yet.
Hopefully I'll get it cheap. He's told me before how much he has invested. Which is south of 5k. So he wont lose much if any.

Yes I read that thread, I can't believe that car hasn't sold yet.
Hopefully I'll get it cheap. He's told me before how much he has invested. Which is south of 5k. So he wont lose much if any.

I can’t believe it either!

Tell him you aren’t looking to profit from it, as you just want to save it! And If he’s a car guy and has south of $5K invested then surely he’ll be ok with that, huh?? Good luck with it! Hope you are able to save it!!

Good idea, perfect wording. Maybe I can get it for what he has in it. I encourage him to get the most he can on Craigslist or eBay. But I’d buy it to save it or sell it, if it makes sense to. It will always be a Frankenstein car, never getting premium dollar.

Have him come on here and read the comments! That way, he can see for himself what he’s got. It’s hard enough to find the right buyer for one of our cars (when’s it’s bone stock and perfect). But, that much more difficult whenever you add in, any sort of wrinkle whatsoever. And it sounds like this one has a quite a few. Which is why the consensus is what it is regarding his car. I mean, no offense, but, what he’s got is a very serious can of worms here. And as stated even if it were running perfectly it’s still only $7,500 (at best), assuming the body is in good shape with no major rust or dents. Projects are always going to be a losing proposition around here.

Have him look at the guy’s T ad in cars for sales section from north or South Carolina who has done frame off, repaired the body, detailed the frame, rebuilt the motor, I think the trans is built, redone the brakes, and the car is yard drive able and he has added all kinds of quality parts and he only wants like $5,200, maybe? And everything is Fresh / Brand New on it, as it only needs paint and finishing up the interior and whatever else is left? But, I’d remind him, that’s a fresh built car (pics and documentation) that would be a great start, or platform for a quality built car with not all that much left to be done. Not trying to be rude, however, it happens a lot when you have a project, as he honestly doesn’t have as much as he thinks he does.

This is so true! It is ridiculous what people want for jigsaw puzzles they call project cars these days. They will get a car and start on it only to decide they want to sell it later after they have torn it to pieces. They are always advertised as an easy restoration, not much required to fix, great project car, etc. and they want almost as much as a decent restored car would bring. Very few cars are really rare/special enough that they will be able to be restored and make money on but everybody thinks they are gold. Just look at what some people are asking for 4 door cars now. I know we can thank Barrett-Jackson et al for the misconception but just because it is old or rare, doesn't mean it's valuable. Most cars will not be worth the cost of restoration unless it can be gotten cheap enough because the prior owner was willing to take a big loss on what they have already put into one. This is why a lot of otherwise salvageable cars end up being parted out. Handed from one hand to the next and never getting finished until eventually it is worth more in parts than what you could get for a restored car. Yeah, the overall value of these cars may be creeping up but so is the cost of parts, paint, and labor. That's why most restorations have to be a labor of love, not an investment.

I hope the OP can work a deal and save this one.