85 gn Help can't find fuel filter !

McCarthyIV

McCarthy Hanger IV
i purchased a 85 Buick GN a couple weeks ago and I started losing fuel pressure and hearing a whiny fuel pump. So I bought a new walbro 340 and a fuel filter but I cannot find the fuel filter for the life of me. On the vehicle's title it says it's a 85 but it has a stock intercooler. I have looked on the driver side frame rail behind the door and it's not there. I am moving duty stations in a couple days and must getting my car running as soon as possible. Any help finding the fuel filter would be appreciated, Thank you!

Last edited:
85 does not have an intercooler. What's the rpo on the trunk deck and the vin. Might be a swap.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

One guy said kn his 85 gn it was in the engine bay down by the timing chain

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

One guy said kn his 85 gn it was in the engine bay down by the timing chain

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

That’s where mine is ..... inline with the feed to the fuel rail. Mounts where the mechanical fuel pump block off plate is bolted to the timing cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the replies.. where would the fuel filter be with a swapped engine???
IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG

Last edited:
Someone swapped in a 86-87 motor in your hot air or swapped vin numbers on a 86-87.
Does it have a 3rd brake light?

Mystery. There is only so much fuel line. Your going to have to search from the tank along the Driver side. There is a chance the person that swapped it didn't install one with the swap. I hope not

Don't want to come across negatively . . . but . . . . My advice is to go through that car with a fine tooth comb, based on the engine picture.
*If you find the fuel filter missing, if should be enough concern to start questioning everything done to that car. Good luck.

What's the 10th digit of the VIN? And does the VIN on the dash match the VIN on the trunk lid sticker?

Car is likely just an 85 with an intercooled swap and they didn't realize the filter is not in the line on the hot air cars. So it very likely doesn't have a fuel filter.

Hard to tell from the pic angle but it looks like the center section of the turbo is installed at the wrong angle. What type of oil drain tube is on the turbo? Drains into the front of the block or the pan?

Don't want to come across negatively . . . but . . . . My advice is to go through that car with a fine tooth comb, based on the engine picture.
*If you find the fuel filter missing, if should be enough concern to start questioning everything done to that car. Good luck.
I have checked the entire path of the fuel line he didn't bother installing a fuel filter, i will have to figure out a way to put one in. Thank you everybody for the help and advice, i will have my plate full these next couple of months.

The tenth digit is F, and yes the trunk and the VIN on the dash match.

That would be an '85. Sounds like someone did an IC swap and left the hotair frame lines in place.

AssUming we use the same tank it sounds like the easiest and 'rightest' way to do it would be to get some '87 fuel lines and the correct filter.

You need to life the body off the frame anyway to replace the body bushings.

You know, two stones, one bird. :)

On my 84 we put a filter above the rear axle. Memory is foggy but I think i found stub sections of fuel line with the right threaded ends and used compression fittings so there's no rubber. But I'd have to look again to be sure

Agreed with INEEDAGN above. The easiest place to fit a fuel filter would be above the rear axle where the hard tank lines go into the rubber lines that connect to the frame rail lines. Nothing fancy really, just something that will flow EFI, even nipple ends as long as it is a metal filter so you can double clamp them (that sounds unintentionally kinky but Earl will love it).

When I converted my 82 I uses 2 fuel line repair section from a mid 90s gm truck. They are o ringed and I cut a portion of the stock fuel line out under the door and used compression fittings. In hindsight It would have been easier to do what the other gentlemen are saying.