'84 BQ or '88 CRF??

cdrod

I have an '84 BQ trans from a running GN and an '88 CRF from a base model Monte Carlo (not SS). Which transmission would be a better starting point to build-up to last behind a 400HP/400TQ small block V8? Thanks!

Either one will work. What final gearing do you plan on running? For higher numerical gears the BQ will give you better shift points.

One of these two transmissions will go into my '72 Olds 442 convertible with a 375cid stroked small block. The engine has 10.25:1 CR with aluminum heads & headers; cam specs are .223/.229@.050 dur/ .557/.541 lift. The final gears are 3.42:1 so with a 27" tall rear tire the engine should be turning just under 2000 rpm at 70mph and this will be a daily driver. Should I be concerned about the BQ trans being an early production unit whereas the CRF was built 6 years later? I've read GM made improvements over the years so the later production unit may be stronger or improved.
I think the BQ is more desirable and I only paid $75 for it; so one thot is to build the CRF and sell the BQ for a profit to help fund rebuilding the CRF. What is the BQ worth? It came from a low-mileage, running '84 Grand National - the seller is planning an LS/4L60E swap. Thanks!
Rodney

Last edited:
There was some improvements in the later trans. You could put the valvebody and governor from the BQ into the CRF trans. Also get the larger intermediate servo when you do the rebuild. A billet shaft forward drum is also highly recommended.

BQ will have the "butterfly" washers in the planetaries like a BR. Most of the early/late improvements are easy to swap during a build (like the sun gear shell). Either will work but if I could only grab one trans for my build I'd grab the BQ. CR probably has a more active kickdown though.

Thanks for the comments. Any thoughts about the value of the BQ trans if I was to sell it to help fund building the CRF trans?

Thanks for the comments. Any thoughts about the value of the BQ trans if I was to sell it to help fund building the CRF trans?
Your going to want to use the BQ valve body and governor for your setup to get the proper shift points. The CR valve body and governor is going to give you early shifts. A core transmission is only worth a couple hundred dollars so I don't think it will add too much as far as funding. If you want to do this right from the start stay with the BQ setup whether you stay with the BQ transmission or transfer the valve body and governor to the CR transmission.

The tv plunger assembly in the turbo Buick trans doesn't have the hole for the part throttle detent passage. What that means is, it's less likely to downshift into another gear when you lean into the throttle. It still can, depending on the situation, but in a turbo Buick you generally have to lean into the throttle pretty hard for it to downshift into a lower gear.

I actually don't know for sure if the bq shares that with the br calibration because I've never checked. But I'm pretty sure it does. It's a small detail that's hardly worth mentioning honestly.