84-87 GNX? Read this forum post!

bad link... its just the opening page of that site.. can't locate the actual post..

Thread about favorite ten cars.

:mad: racingrice: Maybe we will have a Grand National in the family pretty soon. My dad loves these cars and I am thinking about buying him one for Christmas. Just been looking for a low milage, not modified, not molested '87 GN. The reason for '87 is because it was the only year for the Grand National and was the official Indy 500 pace car and was the fastest production car for '87. All the years other than '87 that people call Grand Nationals were actually a GNX. Not the same as Grand National.

:D ozrein: Sorry I just had to register because of the statement above. Please, please, please do yourself a favour and do some research on the GNs before you go and buy your Dad one. You'll save yourself a bunch of time and effort and probably a number of headaches.

First the GN (meaning Grand National) in the form you are thinking of (being early/mid 80's Buick Regal body in all black) were available with a turbo 3.8 FI V6 from 1984 to 1987. But the name Grand National had been around for a number of years previous to this. (fyi, the same turbo V6 was also available in the Turbo-T Regals, which were basically GNs without the GN specific interior nor the all black exterior paint scheme)

Now the 84 and 85 GNs were turbo'd but not intercooled, still a potent car in it's day though. In '86 they intercooled them, which continued on into '87 and yes were some of, if not the fastest domestic production cars of the time.

Now here is where you have your info backwards, in '87 and ONLY in '87 they wanted the GN's to 'go out with a bang', so-to-say as they were switching the Regals to a FWD platform. So Buick decided to contact McLaren, who went to work tweaking the GNs with not only some engine upgrades but also some suspension work. This mod'd GN was then released as the 1987 GNX in limited numbers.

GNX's are highly sought-after and usually quite alot more expensive than a standard GN. Also not only by virtue of their newer model years but because of the intercooling, the '86 and '87 tend to fetch higher prices as well.

Here is a good link for turbobuicks: http://www.turbobuick.com/ There are plenty other sites across the net, I just cant think of them at the moment. Hope that helps.

:mad: racingrice: Do yourself a favor and research the Grand Nationals. They were only called Grand Nationals in 1987. Before that they were GNX and T-Type. 1987 was the most powerful year for them and they were the Official Indy Pace Car for 1987. I have all kinds of vintage brochures for the Grand National. Most people that have lets say a 1985 GNX try calling it a Grand National when its actually a GNX or T-Type and get away with it because most people don't know the difference. My dad worked for a dealer in that period of time is another reason I know what I am talking about.

Yes for the people who actually know what a Grand National is the most sought after year is 1987. You can pick up the GNX and T-Type of the previous years for junk iron price compared to what a true 1987 Buick Grand National sells for. Besides if 1987 is bringing the highest prices i want the rarest of them all. Just like my '04 Mach 1 , There are only 768 Screaming Yellow Mach 1's produced. White was the rarest for the Mach 1 and Yellow was the second.

:D ozrein: Hey I tried to help, if you want to believe want you think is right, I cant do a darn thing about it. But try posting this info on any Turbo Buick forum and see what they have to say.

talk about someone that's been sniffing too much nos........what a maroon.....

Sadly he'll buy a so called "GNX" and tell everybody it is one. I can see him making GN owners look like retards. I hope he doesn't buy one and should stick to Miatas or something. What a dork.

NCTyphoon said:
this guy is obviously in deep need of a sign... :D
Here's a sign, maybe he'll drive by it in his hotair GNX...
;)
sign.jpg

Normally I leave idiots like him alone, but I couldn't help but signup and try to correct his mis-information. Maybe one day he'll learn to do a little research before running off at the mouth.....lol. Nahhh, he will never learn.

LOL !!

The follow up posts were great too..the guy who corrected the corrector and said the 82 was twin turbo fuel injected !!

hey I signed up too, now I got some other bozo telling me Im wrong too :rolleyes: Whats the world comming too. Oh and according to this dude we are all tuff guys who think we own the street racing scene, I know I don't think :D by the way Im turbo_buick_6, people help us. Rice has fried these peoples brains on this site :D

85HOT-T -
Hillarious comment about not offending the Buick community. I laughed out loud.

Some of those people were just woefully misinformed. Hopefully they will take some of my info to heart and not embarass themselves like that again. BTW.....Evil87GN over there.... :D

Slo86GN said:
Some of those people were just woefully misinformed. Hopefully they will take some of my info to heart and not embarass themselves like that again. BTW.....Evil87GN over there.... :D

see thats what happens to your brain on rice :D

supposedly weed too :confused: Guess i gotta listen if the judge is tellen me :(

Shane, thanks man, these people are f'n idiots. Seen fast and furious too much and think NAWS is for making your car go 30 miles an hour faster past red-line

Well hey, I guess I am registered over here. I was the one that originally posted this on SyTy.net and I'm also 'ozrein' over on that ZX2 board.

I really cant believe the mis-information over there. I tried setting them straight as have a couple of you guys and they STILL dont what the h*ll they're talking about over there. LOL

Anyway just thought I'd say hi and thanks for the extra back-up over there. Maybe one day they'll take their heads out of their arses and figure out the REAL info on these awesome machines.

85HOT-T said:
Shane, thanks man, these people are f'n idiots. Seen fast and furious too much and think NAWS is for making your car go 30 miles an hour faster past red-line

I ran NOS once. Blew my floorboards out and I'll never do it again :rolleyes:

I registered and added a post over there, too. There are definitely a few mis-informed tools over there.