Decals

gandl2123

I am about to repair a broken antenna on my 83 Buick Regal T type. I've seen the videos and almost all of them are on 84-87 Buick Grand Nationals. The parts to order in regards to repair kits all say 84-87 Grand National. (Antenna with power on runs and will not stop...plastic cable is more than likely broken)

I'm hoping that the antenna on an 83 is somehow accessed in 5 min thru the kick panel and not the same fender removing procedure as in 84-87.

I had planned to to the garage wire repair but would consider buying the repair cable if I can find it for a reasonable price and FOR the 83.

Thanks for all advice in advance.

that antenna was unchanged from the 70s so the repair cable and procedure is the same
. its install is same on all 80-87 regals , its inside the fender and you dont remove the fender you just open it by separating the rear outer fender from the inner

that antenna was unchanged from the 70s so the repair cable and procedure is the same
. its install is same on all 80-87 regals , its inside the fender and you dont remove the fender you just open it by separating the rear outer fender from the inner
Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. argh.:)

I was recently able to pull this out without taking the fender off as noted above. I also was able to fix ours without buying a new one with a little creativity using a heat gun. This is if you had the same problem as we had.

I was recently able to pull this out without taking the fender off as noted above. I also was able to fix ours without buying a new one with a little creativity using a heat gun. This is if you had the same problem as we had.
I would love to hear more about your procedure. Mine? Was going up and down perfectly after sitting for years in a garage. Came out to drive a few days ago...antenna went up, then when done with drive. Turned car off, pulled keys. Could hear antenna motor running and antenna stuck in up position. Had to remove power connection. Think nylon cord has broken.

i have heard that sewing machine oil will extend the life of the nylon cable and mast ...probably just helps with friction on the mast ...

Well I'm a few days passed the prevention phase. I'm into the metal cable fix it stage. Waiting for the person above to talk more on non fender removal option.

i have and you can (with some difficulty) remove the antenna with out separating the the fender by removing the battery and fishing the antenna out through the front

i have and you can (with some difficulty) remove the antenna with out separating the the fender by removing the battery and fishing the antenna out through the front
Hmmm, interesting. How would you ever get antenna threaded back thru fender hole and mount screw in? Whew

Well I'm a few days passed the prevention phase. I'm into the metal cable fix it stage. Waiting for the person above to talk more on non fender removal option.
yes i hear ya ..metal cable ...one and done hopefully...

We removed bolts/nuts/screws along passenger wheel well/fenderr to be able too carefully bend outward the body panel so you can pull the cable/connector and antenna down through the opening. You can use string to attach to the connector which is inside the engine bay, passenger side near the relays so it is easier to pull back up once the repair is finished. We tried a new aftermarket antenna and the metal portion was too large and not of the correct shape to work properly so after a few hours in realizing this and trying to make it work, we used a heat gun/torch to melt the existing plastic string/cable from the metal casing which is about 1" long and pulled out the old cable before reattaching it/crimping it.. We then did the opposite of what the instructions said and had the antenna lowered down and pushed all the line back in the spool. Put voltage to it and had it going up and down with no problem and put it back together and it works great. Hope this helps.