81 Regal build-Turbo 5.3/4l80e **9.94@138.5mph

bigmandengo

Fellas, figured I'd finally throw my build on here. I sold my 87 T' to build this turbo ls car last year and its still a work in progress but its on the road and runs great.

A couple specs on the build

Engine:
Stock 2003 5.3
PAC 1518 valve springs
Trickflow 216/220 cam (added 05-2016)
Flex fuel sensor installed and functional
Cruise control functional
A/C- Denso 10se18f compressor (stock truck compressor), spectra condenser for 91 camaro and custom lines
Controlled by 2005 GM PCM and tuned with HPtuners

Turbo setup:
Precision PT7675 CEA
JGS 50mm Wastegate
Log manifold hotside Built by Nathan Shaw at One Guy's Garage (log built by KBracing)
3.5" stainless downpipe
CXracing 25x16x4 intercooler
Cold side piping also built by Nathan Shaw
JGS 60mm BOV
Connected to Pypes dual 2.5 exhaust

Fuel System:
Racetronix 430lph pump
*Now Dual Walbro 450s (added 04-2016)
Racetronix ptfe lines and filter
Aeromotive boost referenced A1000 regulator
Professional Products fuel rails
ID1000 injectors
Continental Flex fuel Sensor on the return side

Drivetrain
2009 4l80e with stock converter and HD2 shift kit
Circle D 2B multi disc torque converter (added 04-2016)
PTS 3.5 aluminum driveshaft
Quick Performance 9" housing
35 spline axles
3.25 gears
Moser Wavetrac carrier

Suspension:
SC&C stage 2 plus and bilsteins
LS1 brakes all around
UMI rear upper adjustable roto-joint control arms.
HR parts anti-roll bar

Here is the car on last weekend's OGG drag weekend. first track weekend netted 11.70@127

Last edited:
This looks like a very nice build to me. I like the KB racing manifold for a TB style turbo set up, and I like how you set the engine in so the truck intake manifold fits under the hood. Any mods required for the hood to close? What did you do for motor mounts to get this engine in low enough? AC compressor fitting in and cruise control is a plus. Love it all.

This looks like a very nice build to me. I like the KB racing manifold for a TB style turbo set up, and I like how you set the engine in so the truck intake manifold fits under the hood. Any mods required for the hood to close? What did you do for motor mounts to get this engine in low enough? AC compressor fitting in and cruise control is a plus. Love it all.

Thanks for compliment. I was tired of seeing so many builds that rip out the fender wells and HVAC.

The hood clears with just a slight grinding on the front-most mounting post on the intake.
The engine is mounted with Spohns swap mounts and the engine even clears the HVAC box.

Trap speed and weight calculator says about 600 hp. This is with a stock cam-motor on 15 psi.

Any issues with the KB log? I saw where another member had one that was made for the G body, and he said in his post it needed a little more "tweaking". Your's appears to fit the turbo nicely. T4 or T6 flange? I don't know the big turbos that well.

Any issues with the KB log? I saw where another member had one that was made for the G body, and he said in his post it needed a little more "tweaking". Your's appears to fit the turbo nicely. T4 or T6 flange? I don't know the big turbos that well.

My KB log fits excellent. It wasn't tweaked whatsoever. The log kyle built me was not his shelf log though. He moved the flange a few inches forward and down to better fit my application. The turbo is a T4 flange.

I remember that thread youre talking about. I think that member was running a mid-frame turbo. Much bigger turbo physically.

Please pardon my questions. I saw in some of your other photos that you have or had used a victor intake and an elbow. Do you prefer the truck manifold for low end torque? Also, is there any sacrifice in boost control with the wastegate being at the crossover as opposed to under the turbo?

Please pardon my questions. I saw in some of your other photos that you have or had used a victor intake and an elbow. Do you prefer the truck manifold for low end torque? Also, is there any sacrifice in boost control with the wastegate being at the crossover as opposed to under the turbo?

Don't sweat the questions. I'm glad to share. To answer your question about the vic jr intake, as a matter of fact I did start with a vic jr intake. I put about 500 miles on it and it ran fine. What it lacked was low end torque. The low end was so bad, I decided to go to a stock intake. That turned out to be very worth while. Night and day difference in the powerband. The low end significantly picked and as a bonus, the plastic intake is much lighter. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't waste my time and money with an aluminum intake. Spend your money where it counts. This ugly truck intake flat out works.

As for the wastegate, I was skeptical about the placement at first as well. I did a bunch of research about the placement with the KBracing truck kits, which places the wastegate in the same spot, and they seem to control boost just fine. To save space under the hood, I decided to give it a shot and I was pleasantly surprised when I first drove the car and boost peaked at 3 psi. So, I'd say the placement works great!

I recently acquired a 2005 4.8 complete from starter to intake and alternator with harness and CPU for dirt cheap ($100) and I've been doing a lot of thinking. I like what I have seen thus far.

That's a great deal. Those 4.8s are supposedly the strongest bottom end ls in stock form. 2005 ecm runs flex fuel too!

What oil pan are you using and where did you put the oil drain fitting in the pan? I just received my exhaust manifold from KB racing and will be running a CTSV pan and holley mounts. My plan is to keep my AC and was curious where the drain is mounted?

Thanks
Austin

I made my mounts, to get the engine low in the chassis. Canton pan.

Attachments

• 86T engine mts 007.jpg
    86T engine mts 007.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 542
  • 86T engine mts 008.jpg
    86T engine mts 008.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 620
  • 86T engine mts 010.jpg
    86T engine mts 010.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 570
  • 86T engine mts 003.jpg
    86T engine mts 003.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 532
Awesome build. I wanna NA Limited and throw an ls in it. Keep it NA for a little than make the plunge into a turbo set up.

What oil pan are you using and where did you put the oil drain fitting in the pan? I just received my exhaust manifold from KB racing and will be running a CTSV pan and holley mounts. My plan is to keep my AC and was curious where the drain is mounted?

Thanks
Austin

I'm using a CTS-V oil pan and the turbo drain is on the passenger side of the pan as you can see in the picture. That drain fitting was installed on the pan before fitting the a/c, so unfortunately when I installed the compressor, the drain line could not be installed there. Because of this, I left A/C off for the year and ran the oil drain in that real estate instead. Next year, I will be relocating the oil drain to the front of the pan to clear the compressor.

**Edit, the compressor clears the oil drain in this position.

Last edited: