81 Regal build-Turbo 5.3/4l80e **9.94@138.5mph

Scored a craigslist deal to start off this winter's upgrades (I know its not winter yet, but the car runs too good to rip apart now). Gen IV aluminum 5.3 with flat-tops and 243s. It is a DOD failure motor, which is fine. Standard lifters will be swapped in anyways.

This is a 58x motor so instead of swapping the reluctor wheel, I'd like to make the transition to a MS3 pro setup to take advantage of the integrated 2-step, boost controller, traction control etc.. Should really be able to lean on this thing next year with the stronger rods.

All I need to do is launch on more boost and I'm there with the current tuneup.
All you need is a torque converter. You'll be shocked at how much harder the car will charge down the track with a converter that couples good.

All you need is a torque converter. You'll be shocked at how much harder the car will charge down the track with a converter that couples good.

Hmm, maybe I should take advantage of the free restall.. I know I should but I've been content with the car the way it is. If I send it in for a restall, I'm afraid the converter will be too tight and the brakes won't hold 3500 rpm on the two step, like they do now.

Hmm, maybe I should take advantage of the free restall.. I know I should but I've been content with the car the way it is. If I send it in for a restall, I'm afraid the converter will be too tight and the brakes won't hold 3500 rpm on the two step, like they do now.
That's a legitimate fear. The PTC converter will allow for the slippage you need to launch the car and will couple like mad.

That would be ideal. I'm going to stick with this circle d converter for now. Maybe, it will couple better with more boost.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

This past weekend was One Guy's Garage Drag-Weekend. The Buick made the trip once again. This year, 600 plus miles were logged and the car made passes at all three tracks. On sunday, at Tri-state Raceway, I ran a new personal best and busted into the 9s. What a blast.

The Buick is still an all-steel, full weight, A/C, steel wheels and iron block car.

Well, I finally put this thing on the scales. With me in the car, it weighed 3900 lbs. I can't say I'm surprised that she's a piggy. The good news is, it can only get lighter.

Now, the axels can come out to be upgraded to 5/8 studs and the converter can be pulled for a restall.

Great build! So glad I came across this, as I am going 5.3 this coming winter too. I like how you're getting it done with where you have your timing even with E85, as I was given bad advice awhile back at keeping it no less than 19* at wot with pump gas. Can you throw up a pic of your SA Main Table, I'd like to compare it with mine...

Setup looks awesome, fantastic work on the downpipe... (y)

Very solid. Just wait until you drop the weight of the vehicle and turn up the boost, these engines make eight second passes seem way too easy. A member on another board dropped a stock short block 5.3 in, only the fasteners were upgraded, upper end was modded, and on the first pass went 9.24 followed by an 8.86. Was so against it once upon a time, but now its such a no brainer.

Can't wait to see what you have planned for the Winter...

Last edited:
Well, I just received my new 252mm converter from circle d. We ended up trading the 258mm 2b in for their new 252mm converter. To tighten up my original 258mm converter on the top end would have sacrificed some ability to footbrake and launch the car. This new converter supposedly will be tighter up top (sub 10% slip) and footbrake better than the 2b.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

This winter brought a few upgrades for the Buick.

The fuel pumps were upgraded to f90000274 pumps. Same pumps as the 267s except they have an increased pressure relief from 80 to 100psi.

Viking Crusader double adjustable shocks are now on all four corners.

TRZ adjustable spring perches were added and the springs were replaced with hyperco 12-125 coilover springs.

The teardown on my aluminum gen IV 5.3 started. It's going to be a basic build.
Stock bottom end with new bearings and opened up ring gaps
216-220 cam
243 heads
10:1 compression
Everything else is being swapped from the gen III motor that came out.

Last edited: