8.5 rear or ford 9"

mrjohnson

I have a N/A regal and bought a open diff 8.5 for a fair price around a year ago. I haven't installed yet, but would rebuild with new posi, bearings etc. My question is, how much money do people have in there 8.5 rebuild? I'm thinking it might be cheaper to sell it and upgrade to a ford 9", giving the place I work I think I could get into one for around $1000-$1200, not including the price I sell the 8.5 for. Opinions? Thanks

I have a N/A regal and bought a open diff 8.5 for a fair price around a year ago. I haven't installed yet, but would rebuild with new posi, bearings etc. My question is, how much money do people have in there 8.5 rebuild? I'm thinking it might be cheaper to sell it and upgrade to a ford 9", giving the place I work I think I could get into one for around $1000-$1200, not including the price I sell the 8.5 for. Opinions? Thanks

What kind of drive train are you going to use? LOTS of 8.5's surviving w/ big power. The 8.8 has a bastard pinion flange, Ford bolt pattern, etc.
I have a preference for 9" units. LOTS of combos for parts.
My 86T has a Quick 9". w/ some HD parts, 3.50 gear, 35 spline axles, backing up a turbo/LS. It was about $2200, delivered.
If you "do" the 8.5, and ever sell the car, that may be a + for some buyers....Depends on what you are going to do w/ it.

Back under my inj bench..:smug:

What kind of drive train are you going to use? LOTS of 8.5's surviving w/ big power. The 8.8 has a bastard pinion flange, Ford bolt pattern, etc.
I have a preference for 9" units. LOTS of combos for parts.
My 86T has a Quick 9". w/ some HD parts, 3.50 gear, 35 spline axles, backing up a turbo/LS. It was about $2200, delivered.
If you "do" the 8.5, and ever sell the car, that may be a + for some buyers....Depends on what you are going to do w/ it.

Back under my inj bench..:smug:

Thanks for your reply, I'm currently doing a frame off, when I finished I'm going with a 6.0 or 6.2 Ls, power wise it will be maybe 400-500hp, as for the car it will be a cruiser maybe a little mild auto cross but nothing extreme, I doubt I will ever take it to the strip. As for selling the car I'm not going to sell it, it's my first car and I've owned it since 97. I work at speedway so I get a good discount and work next to the guy who rebuilds the 3rd members for them, that's why I say I can get one for cheap.