79, preceding the gn, Sport Coupe build

Utah Blaine

I know everyone is holding their breath to find out if I got the engine back in the car today. Well exhale and catch a breath. Its in and mated to the trans, but that's it. In a few days I'll put in the starter in so I can bolt the flex plate to the converter. Engine is so tight I want to use the starter in stead of a breaker bar to turn it. Yep, you guessed it, I put the plugs in and want to do it with electricity. OK, take another deep breath and hold it for only two more weeks. Insurance is due then and I intend to have it on the road.

I loved my 79 white red interior on the floor shifter it was a DD I hated leaving on the mainland

OK. I don't know if this is important or not but in case it is I would like to know which goes where. The cooler lines on the 350 trans I have are above one another behind the starter on the trans casing. Does it matter which one goes to the top inlet of the radiator? Thanks

Yes it matters Fluid out of trans goes to bottom of radiator,fluid at top of radiator is returning to transmission

Thanks hensleyt ! Where the cooler lines go in and out of the 350 trans I have are above one another behind the starter on the trans casing. Do you know which one of those holes is the pressured one to the radiator? Upper or lower? Thanks

Top is the return port ,so top radiator will return to top of transmission

Thanks hensleyt! I was afraid I was going to have to start her up and see where it shot out. Now I have to fish the lines back through because I forgot to put them back before I dropped the engine back in. I realized my mistake when I was putting the starter in. I weigh 121 and that starter weighs 122. Thanks to everyone, I really appreciate it and I aint through yet LOL.

A little tip: Put all trans cooler lines back before reinstalling the engine. Another tip: Summit sells great flexible trans cooler hoses.
Put the carb, plenum and turbo in as one unit today. There has to be a better way! I finally got the thing installed but that oil return that comes on the stock 79 unit, well, I got it done.
I guess I've missed my mark on when I wanted this build on the road. If the weather gives me a break it should start in a couple of days, LOL. You would do better betting on the stock market.

I've always installed the turbo and plenum together and put the carb on later.

The oil return can be a super pain. I don't like the '79 set up. The flexible line and grommet used from 1980 and on is much easier, but you need to make sure the grommet is big enough. Many aftermarket grommets are too small.

Well it's running but the rear main seal is leaking so bad I'm going to take it out again and have a neoprene one put in. Should have done it to begin with. A guy told me to run the engine until the rope seal soaks up enough oil to stop leaking. Doesn't sound right to me! The bad thing is winter has come back and when the high is 25 in the barn I don't get much done!

I bought a 78 Sport Coupe new in 1978. Didn't run too good but I sure loved that little car.
I later sold it & bought a new 85 turbo car, black, too!

I need a radiator that will go right in. I'm missing one rubber, oh I don't know what it's called, maybe a cushion that keeps the top and bottom of the radiator from resting on the sheet metal, and wondering if anyone sells a direct replacement with the bushings? I don't need a 30 row radiator of aluminum, just a replacement that will keep a stock engine cool. It's always run cool with the original 2 row.

AutoZone A570 86 Buick Regal 5.0 aka 307 . HD cooling fits better than comaro f body lower hose fitting right size and location under 100 bucks

AutoZone A570 86 Buick Regal 5.0 aka 307 . HD cooling fits better than comaro f body lower hose fitting right size and location under 100 bucks
Thanks for the post. So happens there is a AutoZone in the next town over and I was able to get one. It came with the rubber things too.
Thanks hensleyt

Now I need a distributor. The one I have works but can't be hooked to the ESC

Last edited:
Those were hard to find 20 years ago I added stronger spring to help with he nock at higher rpm