700r4 conversion

Don't do the 700. It is weaker. I remember back when a fellow trans builder was going to base his high performance business on the 700. I had already earned my lumps with that idea and tried to warn him. He look at me like I was just some Buick lover, nut case that didn't know better. Hmmm. OK. Good luck. As the years went by, he would confirm my list of weaknesses of the 700. It was funny. Some people just have to learn by doing. Well, after about 4 years, he was out of business. He was dead tired from the reworks. And this guy was no dummy.

Syty's come with 700's, go to syty.net & ask the syty owners what the consensus is on 700's. It will convince you to stay away from the 700's.

The 700 is garbage. I have an IROC with a built 700 (about as much as could be put in it) vigilante 3000 stall and 4.10 gears. The motor puts out about 500 to the wheels. In 1 through 3rd it's ok. In 4th, it slips all over after 3/4 throttle, and forget about a forced downshift! (TV cable is perfect, and multiple coolers inline). The trans guy tried to talk me out of building it!

The only OD trans other than the 200 worth it's salt is the 4L80E. That's very expensive to build and control (stand alone computer is about $800 just for the trans). A 4L60E can be sqeezed to about 450 engine hp max, with the 700 about 400hp.

Just build the 200 if you want the overdrive or go 400.

keep the 200

RSI and Hennesy use the 200 behind twin turbo viper motors, granted they are $6500 trannys but thats the only 4 sp that will hold besides a 4L80e which is costly in itself to build and large

I run a 700 in my GN It was originally from TCI bought in 1994, and boy was it garbage. Multiple failures from very simple mistakes on their part. So I finally learned to build it myself and its been very good. There are so many ways to go wrong with it , and so many builders who think they know how to hot rod it. For ex, alot of bubbas at big name shops will just drill out the valve body instead of actually putting in a shift kit. Then they put in a corvette servo, maybe a better band and 3/4 pack, and they think theyve hot rodded it. Ive never met a single trans builder who was aware of the hd parts that are available. They dont make $ from really beefing it with the hi dollar parts. But as it is, My feeling is that bigger hardware is stronger, I dont know how that can be argued. And there is such a bad workmanship among builders and they have such varying opinions that cause them to skip steps, make it shift too hard, chose bad parts, etc. BUT parts wise, i do say a better 200 could be built if one were to buy ALL the hard parts that are available for it (thanks to the GN heritage). I can buy maybe $600 of hard parts, and use a good set of new /used GM only gearsets and have great results with a GN modified as mine is. And friction parts have to be wisely chosen, and there are even some hi dollar cluthc material that is worse than the regular HD stuff. My main complaint with the transplant is shift timing is sketchy regardless of TV tweaking/ governor changes,etc. The gear drop has never seemed to lug it in the least. It does seem to throw off the 1-2 timing , as the trans is confused by the lc2's imediate tork and dumps 2nd/3rd a bit early.