70 Mustang Mach 1 Cobra Jet

Grumpy

Thread killer
Bought this 44 years ago today brand new. Digging out all our old pics. Here it is right after I bought it. Yup.. Had the Crager SS's an the Lakewood traction bars on after a few weeks. So there is a life BEFORE Buicks :p Sold the car as a roller in 1975. Totaled right after I sold it. This was my first "if in doubt piece it out" car !!

Attachments

• Picture 448a.jpg
    Picture 448a.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 409
Wow Purty........upside down!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

My first new car wasn't as nice as yours, but still fun. Shackles on the rear, spacers in the front coils!! OMG what was I thinking??

mustang.JPG

hahahaha.. thats just some girl I picked up.. Oh wait a min. she is in the kitchen making me a sammich :p
I have to dig out the rest of the pics. Purist won't like it :D

At least Dan had a hot chick in his pic.........is that 4 wheel drive Dave? I bet you would take it back. I sure would.
It was supposed to resemble a gasser. Wasn't very successful was I.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

My aunt has one. Hoping to inherit someday. Have always loved that car. Thanksgiving day, when I was in my late teens, we took it out, me driving. She told me to hit it coming over a hill. Passed a statey, just after I nailed it. He got me at 75 (as I recall). I know we were over 100 when I passed him. Yep, got a ticket. Luckily I had a AAA card or he was going to take me in. We didn't tell mom and dad. Cool aunt...

Found a few more.. Hope they upload.. Car was stolen and recovered in 72. Dammit.. something is wrong here. Can't post anymore pics:( Ill throw them on photo bucket later..
Picture451.jpg

ok lets try more pics. :D Here ya go Dave.. My old 68 Fastback... 302/4 speed.. I really thought that was fast till a friends Dad took me for a ride in his 68 GT with a 390 !! Ended up being the wifes car after I got married.
Picture 023.jpg
Picture 026.jpg

Wife and I drove to York, Pa ( From Boston) for the Super Stock Nationals. Here is an idiot doing burnouts in a parking lot. Miles away from home !! Had M&H race tires (had little groves in them). Ya we drove down there on them! I sure as hell wouldn't do that now.. Ahhh to be young and foolish :rolleyes: Ya the rear tires stick out. Bugged the hell out of me so we had to get a plan to fix it.

Picture 019.jpg
Picture 020.jpg

Then the car was stolen/recovered in 1972. So we had some work to do. Had a few new motors we wanted to try. (yes this was the beginning of my hoarding parts) . :D. Then eng was really tight squeeze in there. So what the hell. Rip out the front suspension an put a 2" dropped straight axle. Them want to lighten it up a little so we had a glass nose made. Yes this was a new car !!!
Picture 079.jpg
Picture 039.jpg
Picture 035.jpg

Picture 090.jpg

Damm that was a lot of work.. Ok then had to get it painted.. Remember it's the early 70's !!!
Picture 056.jpg
Picture 089.jpg

About this time (1972 ish)
Picture 084.jpg
Picture 083.jpg
Picture 073.jpg
I had bought a 67 GT500 an the wheels were turning, I had been a Shelby/Cobra guy for a long time. This car had grown into a $$$$ pit. Sooo we decided to move on around 1975. Looking at the 2nd picture there is something in the woods you can hardly make out :D Ended up trading the roller for a 68 GT 500 roller. (See this is how it started for me selling rollers and parts from :p )

I saw something rare today. 1970 Cougar XR7 with a 428 cobrajet and 4 speed. Black with white interior. One of only two black XR7's that year and only one with white interior. One owner, original paint except for drv frt fender.