7 things to know about ethanol

Good article nonetheless i disagree with it. It all depends on which way you look at things. You either pump money into the states and drive oil prices down + drive down your carbon footprint. Or rely on overseas oil and give the middle east billions to fund terrorism. We should be happy there is a boom in the mid west.

Most all the downsides have been disproven or are out and out lies. Like it takes 300% more energy to produce a gallon of alky than we get from it, a total lie. We get 40-45% more energy from a gallon of alky than it takes to produce it.

The University of Florida has developed a grass that can be harvested many times a year that develops far more alky/bushel than corn, pears are second.

Convert vehicles to run on alky not flex fuel and your fuel mileage goes up 25-30% along with 20-30% increase in horsepower. Vehicles designed to run on gasoline loose 25-35% fuel mileage because compression is too low. Alky does not detonate like gas so compression ratios can go way up. Alky does not flash like gas so accident scenes are much safer.

Google any of the top engineering schools and look at their research on this. I'm just parroting what they've done for the past 15 years.

We could easily support our combustion needs from alky produced here but no energy company will let that happen.

Mikey

I'll vouch for the alky burn. I burned some papers Sunday and I had a little E85 in a jar. I poured it on the papers and lit them. They did not erupt into flames like gasoline and it's vapors would. And when it burned, it burned fast and smokeless. It was actually pretty neat to watch.

Here is the best reason of all to use ethanol.

I would rather make US farmers rich than the Arabs in the Middle East. Argue with that.

Yeah why isn't switch grass ethanol in production yet?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Here is the best reason of all to use ethanol.

I would rather make US farmers rich than the Arabs in the Middle East. Argue with that.

Actually the farmers built the alky refineries/distilleries at their own expense and the government shut them down. In 2007 United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization Special Rapporteur for the Right to Food urges five-year moratorium on food based biofuels including ethanol, saying its development is a "crime against humanity." The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) calls this "regrettable," and UN secretary-general Ban Ki-Moon, called for more scientific research. "Clearly biofuels have great potential for good and, perhaps, also for harm." We allowed the UN to influence our government to halt biofuel production and research.

Go to departmentofenergy.gov and look at what is going on.

Mikey