6466 Turbo Talk.

573 whp @ 20 psi on 93 oct and an A/F ratio of 10.8 no track times yet. super fast spool just destroys the MT drag radials. fucking love the 64/66
3 bolt or 4 bolt turbo/headers ? have 6466 with 4 bolt .68 exh housing and cruz headers going to swap from 6262dbb 3 bolt,just trying to compare,thanks

Anyone care to comment on what controlling this turbo accurately is like with the punny adjustable wastegate hole and actuator, MBC etc?

Sounds like if you're not 22psi + it's a mess with possible boost creep etc unless you open the thing up massively and have the RJC puck.

This is the recent generations 45a turbo so how to tame this beast might help those like me that were thinking of buying it first but thought it might've been too much trouble.

Anyone care to comment on what controlling this turbo accurately is like with the punny adjustable wastegate hole and actuator, MBC etc?

Sounds like if you're not 22psi + it's a mess with possible boost creep etc unless you open the thing up massively and have the RJC puck.

This is the recent generations 45a turbo so how to tame this beast might help those like me that were thinking of buying it first but thought it might've been too much trouble.
A 64mm billet bb turbo is nothing like a 45a😉
I've set up cars that run 5 sec 1/8 on this turbo with a 3 bolt.
Nobody buys a turbo like this to run 22psi.
Although we have gotten them down to 18psi on an hd actuator using the rod,
And external wastegate with co2 with the proper springs and boost controller will allow any ramp that someone wants.
This wastegate strategy is standard go fast now.
All can be done with a stock ecm too.
I do have a car here with a manual boost controller that is killing it.
So it can be done😉

Looks like the new HPT 6466 (Full Throttle Speed has them on their site) has a better way to control boost; they integrated a wastegate stub into the housing so it is easier to go external gate without modifying stock headers.
1668898365974.png

Guys the size of the wastegate and the strings and the amount of pressure controls the gate.
There is no better

Would you just vent the gate down under the engine?

Would you just vent the gate down under the engine?
yeah, just make a dump tube off the gate or build a pipe to route it back in to the downpipe. Atmosphere dump is LOUD though.

I have a PTE 6466 DBB on my new build (3 years old, just barely 3K miles on it because COVID and life)
Spools like crazy, and I had a 6766 DBB on the last build, I'm not sure which one I like better.....

External WG, and a Hallman manual boost controller. I have a Turbo Smart e Boost Street controller in the car, all ready to go, but I'm not a tech savvy guy and I can't figure it out.

Haven't had enough time/experience with the 64, and I like to run 20lbs on the street, 23 at the track. Maybe the next time out at the track I'll give it 26-27 and see how it reacts.

I still have tuning to do, and at 63, I'm now a bit leary of doing it on my normal test track. Using the State 51 in Phoenix early on a Sunday morning. Since he's local to me, I'm planning on having Timmer here on the board give it a whirl. If/when we get it squared away, l"ll report back.

Even not running right, this thing went 10.3 at Tucson back in 2020.

Last edited:
I have the new HPT 6466 sitting here. I am planning to swap out the old billet wheel JB 6768 PTE turbo i have on my Ttype now. I am actually looking for a turbo that spools fast and is able to transition quicker for autox racing. I have never come close to pushing the turbo that is on the car anow nd it spools decent but it slow to tranistion when on and off the throttle. I have everything here to mount it, but it won't clear a SLIC so I have to make a new elbow for the WG or put on the V1 FMIC I have laying around. I will post some results and pics of the install but we have to wait till next year as it is winter here in Ohio and I just finished prepping the car to go into winter storage.
1102222044.jpg

1102222044a.jpg

So if you have a Precison slic you'll need to keep the stock style boost actuator?

I have the new HPT 6466 sitting here. I am planning to swap out the old billet wheel JB 6768 PTE turbo i have on my Ttype now. I am actually looking for a turbo that spools fast and is able to transition quicker for autox racing. I have never come close to pushing the turbo that is on the car anow nd it spools decent but it slow to tranistion when on and off the throttle. I have everything here to mount it, but it won't clear a SLIC so I have to make a new elbow for the WG or put on the V1 FMIC I have laying around. I will post some results and pics of the install but we have to wait till next year as it is winter here in Ohio and I just finished prepping the car to go into winter storage.
View attachment 389968
View attachment 389969
I think your going to be very happy
On a good motor we see boost coming in at 2800rpm
On really good motors I literally idles in boost😉
In and out of boost as you put it is light years ahead of a 68 turbine wheel.

Who makes HPT turbochargers and else who uses them ?? I never heard of them until Full Throttle started advertising them . Just curious .

Who makes HPT turbochargers and else who uses them ?? I never heard of them until Full Throttle started advertising them . Just curious .
HPT turbo's are produced by a guy name Harry- he use to own Precision turbochargers awhile back then he sold it to the current owner. HPT is a leader in Outlaw Radial vs World, PDRA, NMCA and Promod turbocharger applications.

Mike Licht @ Full throttle reached out to him and had them develop a turbo with a three bolt turbine housing that is adaptable to the Buick set-up which has an optional external wastegate vband connection. This should have been done twenty years ago which gives Buick owners more options for turbo selections.

William Avillia has an HPT turbo on his car which he won TSO class @ BG- he should have some current performance data on the HPT turbo's performance. Also the turbo comes with a four year warranty if you use the HPT performance engine oil. Not a bad deal for a performance part which normal don't come with any extended warranty as such.

I'm glad someone is making an effort to develop something with newer turbo technology in this Buick application.

Haulz A

HPT turbo's are produced by a guy name Harry- he use to own Precision turbochargers awhile back then he sold it to the current owner. HPT is a leader in Outlaw Radial vs World, PDRA, NMCA and Promod turbocharger applications.

Mike Licht @ Full throttle reached out to him and had them develop a turbo with a three bolt turbine housing that is adaptable to the Buick set-up which has an optional external wastegate vband connection. This should have been done twenty years ago which gives Buick owners more options for turbo selections.

William Avillia has an HPT turbo on his car which he won TSO class @ BG- he should have some current performance data on the HPT turbo's performance. Also the turbo comes with a four year warranty if you use the HPT performance engine oil. Not a bad deal for a performance part which normal don't come with any extended warranty as such.

I'm glad someone is making an effort to develop something with newer turbo technology in this Buick application.

Haulz A
I only see a few different turbos available on the hpt website.
Their 7675 rated for 1200 and is on par with several other companies out there that have released their new designs.
Their 6466 is rated at 950 off their own website
Which is on par with other turbo manufacturers as well and also
Available in 3 bolt which is cool.
Since there is 0 info on if it's a new design compressor wheel or just what is already out their and available as well as the turbine wheel design it might be hard for some people to purchase,but in truth I have never meet a 64 billet wheel I didnt like.
Also when it breaks who is repairing it?
I like a 4 year warranty though😎

That HPT exhaust housing is slick and saves a ton of work/$ too use an external wastegate for us. Nice to see new solutions to problems for our platform. That's a game change IMO, the control, spool and creeping benefits are really nice once you go external.

I just dumped my 50mm wastegate down by the swaybar. I was able to get the boost down to 11psi (initial wg springs were weak) for safe pump gas pulls if curious.

Turbobuick, Tial 44mm wg?
Curious what that can size can get as the lowest psi, post back later if you can.

Attachments

• 20220513_140338.jpg
    20220513_140338.jpg
    907.1 KB · Views: 109