6466 Turbo Talk.

434nova

Ok guys I’m getting anxious with this 6466 I have sitting around since Christmas. I am trying to get a 9 second slip with the 45a with a single nozzle alky before I do the swap. But with this Coronavirus going on I don’t know if the tracks are gonna stay open. So let’s hear what guys have accomplished with this turbo. Et , mph , 60 ft, exhaust housing ar size, dyno numbers even butt dyno any info you guys have. Let’s have a go at your experience with this turbo and what did you upgrade from and how it compares. So far I think the fastest time on the board is a 9.70 with the 6466. So where are you guys at.

I ran one on a standard bore 109 block, 87 Grand National, all-steel body and bumpers etc. On straight pump gas (20 psi) I ran high 10's with 1.6 sixty foot times. With higher octane gas (23 psi) I ran 10.60's at 125. I had some valve float which kept the MPH at 125. It would have been maybe 127 if I got around to fixing the valve springs. Both combos were with no alky with conservative timing and boost.

The same turbo went on my T/A engine and ran 10.20's with very low boost. Pump gas no alky. I never did push the turbo but I'd say it is capable of 9's with some boost. My sixty foot times were in the 1.4's. The front wheels would lift a couple of inches and carry about 15 feet.

@dvernst went 9.91 and 136.5 with a regular (non gen2) 6266 .85 at almost 29psi. The gen2 6466 has close to another 200HP in it IIRC.

That same turbo I’m running . It’s a new build so no numbers yet. Looking to get in the 10s myself . Hoping anyway lol

Attachments

• 54E5927D-93B3-4163-976E-383833571974.jpeg
    54E5927D-93B3-4163-976E-383833571974.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 335
interested - following.
side note: if anyone decides to retire their 45a and wants to sell it, please PM me.

In the interest of learning, and my question is not meant to be confrontational, so please do not assume it is anything other than a question.
Why the 6466? I understand that you already have it so there is that and I also understand that some run really fast times with less turbos on an well matched setups and some great driving.
FWIW, after talking with Jack Cotton I was all set to go with a 6465 but couldn't pass up a deal on a 6766.
I was all set to start seeing what I could do with it but the current state of NJ has our local track closed but on the street it has been an absolute animal with no where near the lag that I was expecting.
Again, just for my own interest in learning.

Haywire went 10.2 @132 at about 33psi on a totally crap engine. It had a flat tappet cam I think was 212/218(?), ported heads that was not great, A huge issue with crank end play and trans that was shit that caused the end play. So, in a well built engine and the right tune I see 9s are quite doable.

but on the street it has been an absolute animal with no where near the lag that I was expecting.
because there are guys that make better passes with a 64mm than a 67.the comp wheels are different gen2 to gen 1,the 64mm hits sooner if the car is setup to take the hit on the street,well you get the idea.

IMO 6466 pte bb is the best for heavy modified tr.. With that being said bang for buck 6766 journal bearing can make more power and cost a lot less.

... need the right converter, cam,wg, engine set up.

In the interest of learning, and my question is not meant to be confrontational, so please do not assume it is anything other than a question.
Why the 6466? I understand that you already have it so there is that and I also understand that some run really fast times with less turbos on an well matched setups and some great driving.
FWIW, after talking with Jack Cotton I was all set to go with a 6465 but couldn't pass up a deal on a 6766.
I was all set to start seeing what I could do with it but the current state of NJ has our local track closed but on the street it has been an absolute animal with no where near the lag that I was expecting.

For me I am looking for a super fast spooling turbo and from what I been told it does. Also I don’t see the point of putting a 8 sec turbo on a high 9 second car. Price to me is the only draw back on the 6466. I believe the reason why Jack Cotton recommended the 6766 is cause you can’t get a turbonetics exhaust housing for the 6465 or they stop making the 6465 can’t remember which it was.