6466 oil feed question

gngofast

Hi,
I'm currently installing a 6466 ball bearing turbo on my car. I'm looking to see if anyone has needed an oil restrictor with this turbo? There is a fitting on the turbo now with a tag that says do not remove, and the paper work says in most cases a restrictor is not needed. I'm just trying to verify this from someone that has installed one of these as my old water cooled ball bearing turbo did need a restrictor.

Thanks for your time

I understand that, but I'm wondering if it needs an oil flow restrictor like the old ball bearing turbos needed.

I ran a -3 oil peed line to that fitting and have never had any issues. I run a high volume melling oil pump in my stroker motor. That turbo is bad little guy, i love it.

The tag on the air cooled dbb turbos' feed fitting, is there to warn you not to let that pre-installed fitting rotate when you install your fitting/line. That fitting is actually an oil feed locating pin, that is installed/aligned at PTE when it's assembled. If the pin/fitting is rotated, it will/can block the oil passages that feed oil to the dual ball bearings. Which will starve the chra of oil and lead to premature failure. I always recommended using the double wrench method when installing your oil feed line / fitting. Thus keeping the fitting from rotating.

Ok, on these turbos, if your car has significantly high oil pressure, especially when hot, it can cause slight smoking as oil gets by the bearings and oil rings. In most cases, our setups do not require a restrictor, just a regular -4an feed line. If however, your setup does have high oil pressure (80-100psi) and you do experience prolonged smoking when it's up to temp, you can put a -3an line in place of the -4an. I am not sure what PTE's position is on installing restrictors on the current air cooled dbb chras. I personally would not put one on.
Hope this helps.

-Patrick-